Throttle body... how to clean?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracingspirals

Usually when I start the engine on my Puma, it revs upto around 2k and then immediately gets back to its idle speed of 900rpm.
Lately it hasn't been coming back to its idle speed and the engine stays around 1100rpm.
I replaced the idle control valve with a new one a few months ago so I can't be that.
I was told it could be the throttle body and it might need cleaning...

So anyone know how would you clean the throttle body?

And would you think there could be another cause for my engine not idling properly at its normal idle speed?

carb cleaner can be used to clean the throttle body,also check throttle cable isnt snagging aswell,it might need replacing as it could also be fraying inside causing the throttle butterfly not to close correctly :eek:k:

Would this thing do:
http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_202903_langId_-1_categoryId_212351" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also if I remove the throttle body to clean it, would it do anything to the throttle sensors and I'll have to reset it or something like that?

just do an ecu reset.,disconnect battery before u remove body and wait 30 mins and reconnect by that time you should have cleaned the throttle body and refitted it :eek:k:

probably a wire to the power steering pressure sender plug has broke.

check for the white plug in the PAS lines under the car near the drivers wheel

I might check that aswell steve do to me also having issues with idling some times.

thanks mate.

tracingspirals said:
^^Would that cause the engine to not idle properly??

yes...strange but true... :grin:

i'd leave the throttle body well alone... :wink: doubt it will make a blind bit of difference to your issue... if the butterflys are working correctly...don't mess... :lol:

I would agree with that. When I got my Puma, it had idle hang on gear change and would over-rev.
After a bit of 'Googling' before I found this site, I checked the PS sender plug. At some point it had been rubbing on water pump/alternator drive belt. The plug was warn through to the point that there was only half a plug left!

Cheers, could any of you tell me where exactly would I find this plug and what it looks like?

The problem is when I first start the engine, it revs high to about 2000rpm and slowly comes down to idle at around 1100rpm. Then once the engine has heated up, it idles around 950rpm. Before it used to idle immediately upon releasing the throttle at 900rpm.

Also the throttle does feel a little sluggish. The engine doesn't seem to rev as fast and lively as it used to before... It's not as responsive as before...

ScubaSteve... I think you did!:

ScubaSteve said:

Bottom left side when looking from the front of the car, near the bottom pulley for the auxilary belt maybe....?

So I'll have to jack it up and look from underneath the car to spot it...

Do you think it could be anything else other than the power steering pressure plug? It also uses a lot of fuel. Gives around 300miles to the tank which I think is quite a bit for the 1.4l...

I was thinking cleaning the throttle body and maf sensor and adding a fuel injector cleaner to the fuel tank should help make it better...

tracingspirals said:
So I'll have to jack it up and look from underneath the car to spot it....
It does make things easier if you jack the front up. I did manage to replace mine without jacking. I turned the front wheels to the right which gave me more room to get to it.
When I fixed my plug, I had a few other niggles, so can't really suggest anything in perticular as I changed a few parts.
When I have road movement in neutral gear/clutch in, my revs stay around 1200 or so. The revs then drop down to around 900 at stand-still. No idea whether this is normal!

I may end up being corrected here, but I did read that if the PS pressure switch is broken/open circuit, the ECU things the steering is full lock/load so the ECU brings the revs up to compensate for the extra engine load. I also read that if you remove the plug and short the contacts in the plug, the revs should change if it is working correctly.

HI All Just a word of warning with the high pressure power steering tubes in which the pressure switch sits right under the front of the car! The metal tubes rust like hell over years and messing with the switch could start a leak. But bypassing the switch wires could mean the pressure gets so high it bursts the pipes (if weak) or the connecting unions could blow out (they are held in with a tiny circlip in a tiny groove) and your red fluid could empty on the floor! Leave well alone they cost well over £250++ to replace unions are once only use. Anyway getting back to your idle speed, the PS can alter that yes. Re: Throttle body, on mine just read label on it that says do not clean internally as you can spoil the surface coating, so best leave alone.

Back