Torque Limiter

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robtminnican

Hi i have done a puma conversion on my fiesta and i am planning to get it to frp spec next year i.e. pumaspeed cams and remap and full milltek. I have read on pumaspeed that the remap takes off the torque limiter in 1st and 2nd i know there is abit of a grey area with this wether to do it or not but what are peoples opinions? would this make the car chew through gearboxes like theres no tomorrow? if anyones done this or would reccomend for or against it it would be a great deal of help cheers :)

in a sense yes, unless you get hold of an frp gearbox too that has shot peened first and second gears

Right so its not viable on standard boxes? Sorry i dont have enough money for a frp box so i guess ha but if i did get a map with the limiter off would i still be able to wire up a switch to turn the limit back on again?Also anyone on here used frp cams from pumaspeed or would the one from piper be better? Cheers

its viable, but i wouldnt advise it especially with the extra power you will be running.

There was a report ford did when testing the boxes and the failure rate was quite high without the limiter.

Right okay i just wanted that map because it says on the pumaspeed website its the one thats most like the frp map so if i got it i could turn it off and keep it off then could i?

Me and Steve agree to disagree on this issue. Yes there's more chance of damaging the box with more torque going through it, but I don't think you will chew through boxes like there is no tomorrow. I ran my green turbo puma with twice the torque of a normal puma, with no torque limiter, & quite a few hard launches at Pod ect, and some hard driving, and the box is still fine now. I can't remember the exact torque figures but the car was 229bhp. I ran the same box for a few years, only reason I stopped using it was because I built a new car to play in!!

There are a few lads on ZSOC, Bushy and Clayton to name a few, they are running good power on staandard boxes with no issues too. The fiesta is lighter then the puma, and your wheels are probably quite small, both of these factors equate to less stress on the drivetrain!

All I'll say is I ran 229bhp in a heavier car then yours with over 200ft/lbs torque, and drove it hard for years. You make your own decision weather you think it will destroy the box with 150ish bhp (you didnt mention the Frp inlet) and 119 ft/lbs of torque??

Not getting that party piece lol nah thanks for the info ill try it with it off and weel see what happens :)

Latest posts

Back