Track Day Question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raggamuffin

Hi all,

Just wondering, with consistent hard driving, what are common things to go wrong with the car? I was looking at getting cams, HD valve springs, bearing and other bits n bobs LightningMotorsport provide, as well as throttle body and ECU.

With that in mind i'd uprate the clutch as well and buy a brand new gearbox with fitted LSD.

I'm just wondering what can be done to help prevent excessive engine wear and tear. I did ponder a full engine rebuild before getting the throttle bodies and Emerald ECU but I imagine that'd take the price from around 1500/1750 to probably nearing £4000.

Then again I simply don't know how much a rebuild costs. Are the zetecs pretty sturdy with hard driving and additional power? I'm hoping with the upgrades to coax 170+ bhp and i'm sure that'll also put additional stresses on the engine.

Ed

To be honest i would leave it all standard initially,decent discs,pads,flexibles pipes.fresh dot 5 fluid.You will reduce your lap times spending money on tuition ,say 2 sessions at each trackday.Learning the correct lines and braking points can shave seconds off a lap time and its much more satisfying being quicker than more powerful but not very well driven cars.Regular oil changes and getting tyre pressures right will be enough to keep you busy for quite a few trackdays.You can then decide which way to go with mods.I think the engine would be the last thing i would spend my money on.With regard wear n tear just make sure everything is up to teperature before you cane it and try and do a slowish lap before you come back in to cool brakes etc.

I'll be doign severa track day tuitions; was thinking of doing them in Silverstone. But regardless I will continue to upgrade my car as I'm finding it enjoyable.

Ed

Best thing you can do is have good quality oil and change more regularly

The first thing you will suffer from is brake fade.
Maybe not as much as some tracks as Silverstone has long straight bits which won't really suit a Puma.
I have enough problems at Castle Combe on the bit between Camp corner and Avon rise.
Its just BHP which counts on that bit :cry: and I have 200 on tap which still isn't enough.
Best idea is just do one and see how you get on.
My car gets bits modded or added every winter before the track day season starts up again.
So far:
LSD
Motorsport rear spoiler,
Front strut brace
Poly bushed rear beam
Shift Lights
Driver side full harness
Another set of wheels with my track tyres on (saves ruining my good tyres)
and Lastly..Nitrous Oxide :wink:

Play to the pumas strengths, that's what I've done with my track car, it handles well as a road car but you can transform it on track with coilovers, poly bushes and a full set of strut braces, that's your first mods.

Next improve its weakness... Brakes, a 300mm front upgrade will be more than enough but a rear disc conversion and braided lines is the full set and works brilliantly.

Free mod... Strip everything out the car you don't need! Its gaining bhp/tonne for free.

Power wise I only have 132bhp in my car and sometime I do want for more but I'm embarrassed much more powerful cars purely because mine handles and stops, straights are straight, it's the corners where you make your lap times count

If you want to experience what a track puma should be like I'm at oulton park on the 30th October for a track day, I'm more than happy to take you round.

Have a look at my project thread

I'd agree good quality oil is essential.
Cheap oil thins out a lot with heat and oil is the main thing that protects wear in an an engine.

Latest posts

Back