Track day wheels

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slyvr

You have more experience than me(haven't ever been to any track) so I ask you what do you reckon goes better on my 1.7 for track days. Should i stick with my 15's 195/50 or should i go for 16's? Also bear in mind it is lowered about 40mm front 30mm rear :)

Many things to consider, width, power output, downforce etc... Remember its a track car and not a car running on milli second timings so the effects are not really noticeable. Stick with what you have.

An inch difference in the wheel size isn't going to change anything apart from the brakes you can fit underneath which is a LOT more important and of course the rubber of the wheels themselves. 16's (normally) run a 45 profile which will give less movement in the tyre wall than a 50 profile if the tyres were identical. Which the amount you mentioned its lowered not going to matter whether you go for 15/16's.

I imagine people will start talking about tyres. Truth is semi's hide a lot of bad driving lines but give the driver more confidence. Road tyres are best for learning and starting off with if your already comfortable with pushing the car really hard which if your new to trackdays you wont be.

Learn the car as it is and modify to suit yourself ... not other people.

my personal opinin is this :

a standard car wil perform best on standard 15" Wheels for road use, but I would opt for one size up on the track, just to get a little less profile on the tyers, so 16"s are a werry ggood option imo,
In my experience, a standard car get's sluggish on 17"s

one thing to considder is that the tyers are way more important then the rims. so if you opt for a more expensive tyre for the standard Wheels you already own, you wio se more benefits then just changing the rims on Budget tyers :)

EDIT : garyfox speeks the truth :)

Back