Turbo charging project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madhillbilly17

Hi peeps, ive decided to do a low boost turbo conversion, im not trying to set the road alight, its just something i want to try.i will see how it is at low boost first and then i may go further,I know its not to some peoples tastes,so please dont bombard the thread with posts telling me it wont work, as ive done my research, and i know it can be done, so only really looking for constructive posts and any constructive advice will be greatly appreciated.The car is coming off the road next week to start the conversion some of you have probably seen pics of my car about on here, but for those who havent here is a pic of my car and a few other bits i have pics of at the mow. more to come :grin:

image.php

gauge pod i fitted today

image.php

down pipe
image.php

turbo and manifold
image.php

adjustable fuel pressure regulator
image.php

Crikey - that's brave. I don't have the expertise (or the balls) to attempt something like this, but will deffo follow your progress. What a cool project!

Good luck another guy on zsoc followed puma noobs iinspiration and really did a good job in a 1.7 pumafiesta but did end up spending alot of money.

I like your low boost approach for longevity chasing bhp and Max boost pressure isn't everything.

Your car look really nice mate, a nice low boost low lag turbo will really bring it into its own!! Really liking the silver pod gauuge toom, never seen them in silver, but matches the speedo surround and control panel! Might have to steal that idea off you!!! :thumbs:

As above, the more pics, the better!!

cheers guys,i will try and get as many pics up as i can i have only got the camera on my phone so hope there good enough . here is a pic of my air/fuel ratio gauge at night

image.php

adjustable dump valve

image.php

also fitted a push button start the other day

image.php

hi yip its not a wideband gauge, it takes the reading from the signal wire on the lambda i dont really need a wideband for what im doing. sorry i cant help mate

Ack!!...you can actually do that?

I tried asking the question but couldn't get a definitive answer as I had an inkling it would work. Does it work ok or is it just for show as I thought you'd need the LC1 controller to get a correct reading for the guage?

My only reservation is how quick the car's lambda is at reporting the AF reading and if indeed it actually gives the correct one. :?

i think for what you need it for you need a wideband but not 100%,no its not just for show lol it works it gives lean/ optimal/ rich readings and a wideband gives you a more precise reading

Fair enough, I thought that might be the case.

I'm probably going overboard with a wideband and will start worrying when it's set up if it fluctuates all over but I just need to know what's happening. Only seen one working on a highly tuned turbo car which was all over the place so I'm hoping mine will be more precise when using the nitrous as I can control the extra fuel I put in exactly plus the gauge has a digital readout as well as the outer 'needle' display like yours. I can then hopefully fine tune it to get the most out of the system while giving myself a small safety margin (probably run at a max 13 AF ratio - 14.7 being stoich) as I 'think' I'm running very rich at the moment although comparisons with other nitrous Puma's say otherwise even though I'm using bigger fuel jets.

Will have to see what's actually going on once I get it fitted.

Cheers ;)

yippeekiay said:
Fair enough, I thought that might be the case.

I'm probably going overboard with a wideband and will start worrying when it's set up if it fluctuates all over but I just need to know what's happening. Only seen one working on a highly tuned turbo car which was all over the place so I'm hoping mine will be more precise when using the nitrous as I can control the extra fuel I put in exactly plus the gauge has a digital readout as well as the outer 'needle' display like yours. I can then hopefully fine tune it to get the most out of the system while giving myself a small safety margin (probably run at a max 13 AF ratio - 14.7 being stoich) as I 'think' I'm running very rich at the moment although comparisons with other nitrous Puma's say otherwise even though I'm using bigger fuel jets.

Will have to see what's actually going on once I get it fitted.

Cheers ;)

When you say probably run a max a/f ratio of 13, what do you mean, on idle? 14.7 would be perfect on idle, or maybe slightly richer to get a good idle, on a peetrol car, on full acceleration, i think between 10.5 and 11 is about the norm. But for your application, you need to make sure the o2 content of the fuel (nitrous) is the same as petrol, or your stoich will be incorrect. I know nothing about nitrous, so couldnt help you out there!

I'm not concerned at all when it's running NA as the car runs perfect.
It's when on WOT with the nitrous I want to be running max 13-ish AFR which gives me a slightly rich mix. Ideally it would be nice to be at a perfect 14.7 when flat out on the gas but I have to consider the pressure of the nitrous as this changes with temperature which can alter the AFR significantly and as I don't yet have a bottle heater to stabilise it I need to see what's actually happening and get some testing numbers down for different bottle pressures so I can either fit different fuel jets to suit the bottle pressure or find an 'all-round' one that will be safe in all scenarios i.e add more fuel no matter what, the latter unfortunately decreases performance if I have low bottle pressure but is probably the likely route as it's more user friendly that way. I'd only be happy running 10.5-11 if it had been setup to run perfectly at optimum bottle pressure and it was due to low pressure that I was getting those readings.

Will have to see how stable the readings are throughout the rev range on the nitrous before I can actually start fine tuning.
Not knowing what's actually happening is my nagging concern even though I KNOW I'm way rich now when on the nitrous.

Them pillar pods look pretty cool mate :) where did you get them from? Never seen them in a puma before.

Good luck with the project

Cracking project! I will be sure to see how this turns out.. i'm still toying with ideas about which direction to go performance-wise.

Car looks great too :eek:k:

Love the engine start button!!!

Is that a Ford part off the new fiesta - or a Honda S2000 button?

Can you help with what you did to wire it up?

Thanks!!

felixgogo said:
Love the engine start button!!!

Is that a Ford part off the new fiesta - or a Honda S2000 button?

Can you help with what you did to wire it up?

Thanks!!

My sentiments exactly do you still have to put the key in the barrel as normal, for the immobiliser? looks really smart tho! :eek:k:

Latest posts

Back