Underside Restoration

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaine

Not sure if this in in the right forum or not so if not can the mods please move it to the correct one?

I am looking at doing a full underside restoration on the car over the summer and I was just wondering if anybody has done this themselves?

Any advice you can give?

Also any recommendations on products to use?

Thanks

Blaine

Plenty have done it, and there are several ways. What I did was take a wier brush fitted to a dril, and og nuts om the rusty bits, and then paimt the entire underside whit hammerite, hammerite atops rust, amd protects the umderside, I'm going to ad some tectyl when i take it out again in the sprimg :)

I am thinking of just doing it over a couple of weeks.

Remove the Fuel tank, exhaust etc and then hammerite it or stone chip

I would also like to replace all the brake pipes on it too

If you do deside to replace the brake pipes, og for copper, get yourselfe a flange tool, and make them yourselfe :) this is also,a good,time to,replace yourmbrake hoses, and you shuld look into replacimg the rear brake cylinders, as the bleed nipples wil most defdenetly be coroded stuck,:)

Have a look at my post in Project Puma "My Puma 1.7 more than a year on (a works in progress) That should give you an idea of the work involved .
Barry

I used halford stuff for mine although there is more exotic stuff available.

Just starting on the new Puma as we speak.

I use a combination of wire brush on a battery drill as theres no power in the garage (although I'm told real mean use wire brushes on grinders) Emery cloth and a hand wire brush. Oh and a wallpaper scraper for scrapping as well.

Ido three lots of everything i.e

Remove all loose rust with combination of all the above treat with halfords rust converter and then wash off dry and do that twice more but on the third go after washing the converter off and drying I just leave what little black converted oxidisation there is black.

Then three coats of red oxide last time I used another anti rust primer

Then three coats of Hammerite.

Obviously I prepare / roughen up the reat of the painted areas first so the primer bond to it.

Some say Hammerite will come off chip or peel etc but the only sign of that on my last Puma was where I refurbed the axle in the same way and a little chipped off due to jacking up using the axle multiple times.

Thanks for the advice on that

I will be looking at making the brake pipes etc myself. I will also be painting the rear crossmember and fitting new bushes when it is out along with the front lower arms.

this is my thread

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15390&hilit=0027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alex (401) has a similar thread on his concourse frp

Here is Alex thread

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17840&hilit=401&start=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back