Uninsured and off-road but still taxed question...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

si1881

Just bought my Puma to replace another car that I used for my previous job and now don't need one to put loads of miles on. I'm currently selling but still using the other car but and the Puma is locked away in a garage but still taxed (garage I bought it from had 6 months on it).

IIRC do you have to declare it as SORN even if it is likely to be only up to a week or two before the insurance is transfered from my (hopefully) sold car onto the Puma? Don't want to have to surrender the tax and lose the rest of this month then have to go through the hassle of re-taxing it again in 2 weeks time? Any help would be gratefully received - I've had a look on the DVLA site and all the SORN stuff seems to state if the vehicle is off the road for good - ie not just a very short break.

Oh and if anyone wants to buy a 3yr old Colt CZC....

Yip I think they're referring to the new insurance rules though in that if it's taxed it has to be insured whether it's locked in a garage or not.

I'm not even sure if this is enforced yet?

But really I'm not sure.

technically you should for 2 weeks. but in reality they will not convict you for it as theyve said you will get a warning letter first.

the whole thing is a con. its so they can make money on the part month you loose when you refund the tax.

it makes zero difference to criminals as the ANPR system checks mot, tax, license and insurance so it doesnt matter if you keep an uninsured car with valid tax disc.

the ONLY thing this helps is for traffic wardens/DVLA van going round poor estates to spot cars because it has no tax disc where as before they couldnt tell it was uninsured just wether it was taxed. Wombles just see the disc, and the DVLA van doesnt have direct access to insurance, mot and license database as they are set up to catch tax evaders only.

Back