Voltage Fluxuations

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilDonut

A couple of months ago I took my Puma in for a service (cambelt+aux belt) and when it came out, I immediately noticed it was idling slightly rougher than before. A few days later I noticed that when I took it to quite high revs the ABS and brake traction control lights began to flash, with the battery light briefly flickering too. After a while the ABS/BCTS lights come on solidly, and my ABS disables (I tested this). This problem appears to be worsening now - additional symptoms include my tach/speedo being set to max, then min, then back to normal - so looks like the dash controller is resetting itself or something. Also when I have my lights on I can see them brightening and dimming when my battery light is flickering.

So, I appear to be getting highly variable voltages out of the alternator, and the battery is having to kick in when it dips below a certain threshold - does this sound correct?

I had the garage look into this but it is very intermittent and they couldn't find anything - they checked the alternator connections but thats about it.

Does anyone have any theories or, even better, had this exact same problem before? I know very little about the mechanics and electrics of cars so don't know how to go about diagnosing it myself, and I don't wanna burn lots of cash with potentially inconclusive investigations.

Cheers!

There can be a problem with the ecm/controllerthe brain of the car but as you said they couldnt find anything wrong. I would guess they fault search you car with a computer?

Latest posts

Back