washer jets not working

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherwass

Can anyone help? I have been having intermittent trouble with my washer jets. Most of the time they work fine, but then for a short (or longer time) they just stop. I can't hear the motor or get any water. I do have plenty of screenwash in the system. Last time it lasted for 2 days and then worked again. Car is due for MOT on Thursday and I would like to try and sort it myself before then if I can. Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

I bet it's the little filter thingy in the bottom of the washer. I cut mine out years ago without any problems since. Pull out the pump behind the inner arch lining and you'll see it. Just cut it out as it'll be all clogged up with 13 years of gunk.

Sounds like the pump or your switch is on its way out. That filter will need cleaning out though, but you say you carnt hear the pump.
Just turn your ignition on dont start the engine and try your washers listen very carefully to see if the pump is trying to work try the rear wash as well.
If you carnt hear anything at all unplug the wire from the washer pump and get one of those little screwdrivers testers with the bulb in the handle and a wire coming out of it ( you can pick them up for a couple of £ ). clip the wire onto a good earth and put the other end into the connector that you have just pulled off the washer pump if you get the bulb to light up then its your pump thats the problem. But make sure you are getting a good connection at both ends of your tester ( also make sure your tester is working try it straight onto your battery ).
There will be 2 points in the connector if you are not sure which wire should be live try one then try the other dont worry you carnt do any damage.

My bad :( Missed the 't in can't. :lol:

Thanks for you help guys. She is going in for her MOT on Thursday morning and I will be working until Wednesday night so I think I will just have to let the garage do it and charge me a new mortgage for it. Bloody typical of my luck. Have spoken to my mechanic today and he thinks it might be the pump gone as there is no noise and no fluid front or back. :-(

Latest posts

Back