Weitec GTN Suspension

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter

In amongst the debacle with my ECU giving up the ghost at Pumaspeed a couple of weeks ago, I also had a Weitec GTN kit fitted (coilovers up front, semi-adjustable shocks on the back) to replace my rapidly deteriorating Eibach setup.

First impressions were good, the car is now nice and taught once more, you can turn in at least ten mph faster than you could on the Eibachs when they were new, and the nose dips far less when you really step on the middle pedal (V6 mondy setup up front on my car)

Two weeks later I'm still pleased with it, but I've found that it's going to need some tweaking to get it dead right. In fact, I'm going back to PS next year to get the rear shocks replaced with coilovers so I can get the whole car set up just right, then I'll be taking her along for a full corner weighting setup. As it is at the moment, if you floor it out of a corner over anything other than a billiard-table smooth surface you can feel the front tyres skipping across the surface. I'd lower it at the front but ground clearance is limited as it is

Basic conclusions: the GTN kit seems like a good idea, but IMO it's not adjustable enough to be a massively useful improvement over a fixed setup, unless you've got enough time to be dropping the rear beam and shocks out whilst you experiment with the ride heights.

Either get the fixed kit, or save the extra pennies and get coilovers all round. You won't regret going for Weitecs, but the GTN kit is not the canny bargain it seems.

Exactly why I went for the fixed setup. I can't be arsed with farting about with it for the "perfect" ride. It seems great round my local country roads and was equally fab round the Nurburgring.

I'm sure it's not the best you can get, or the most reliable etc.etc.. but for my style of driving, it's fab.

:thumbs:

I reckon that I'll get the rear end coilover'd then take it along to a place near me who do race car prep, get it corner weighted and the geometry done as far as possible.

In the mean time I'm toying with the idea of dropping the front end down a little bit.

To be honest, mine has FRP rear shocks and the back sits nice and low..

:)

The back on mine sits down very nicely but there's not enough weight on the front end to really be able to stick it into corners properly

Easy enough to adjust a Weitec GT coilover kit, take the weight off the wheel, remove the wheel, turn a collar, put the wheel back on, go for a drive...

Don't forget to tighten up the wheelnuts properly or you'll get knocking sounds :hide:

OTOH adjusting one of the rear circlip adjustable shocks means removing the shock from the car. Easy enough with a lift, but I'm not even going to bother trying on my drive with jacks and axle stands, it'll just end in tears. It'll be easier to do what I should have done in the first place and get coilovers all round.

Back