Wheel arch lining

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myweepuma

Ok pumas still in a hundred bits but slowly but surely getting there!

So was thinking about wheel arches and was wondering if anyone had replaced the original linings with different ones? Maybe plastic ones? Our rear arches have just started to bubble again since the temp job they had done a year ago so are going to need done properly once she's put back on the road and I don't think the current linings help the situation!

I think someone maybe Sparx used modified plastic ones off a fiesta or something ages ago, ask her :thumbs:

You can cut the edge against the arch back a few cm's and spray them with tent waterproofing spray to stop them soaking up grime.

In my opinion the arch linings do not contribute to the rusting of the rear arches. The rust originates from the inside cavity which is created at the joint of the inner wheel arch and outer wing panel.
This is accessible by removing the rear interior trim panels etc.
The rust probably started on the day they left the factory and is made worse by condensation which gets trapped and collects in the joint. Inevitably it's just a matter of time before the rust eats through, to the outside which you can see and to the inner wheel arch lip.
This is where people mistakenly think the linings are the cause.
It also annoys be a bit when people advertise cars with 'surface rust only' on the rear arches. The rust is coming through from the inside!

Just saying :)

Paul

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

I agree, as said many times before. Plenty of pictures showing where it occurs.

748 said:
In my opinion the arch linings do not contribute to the rusting of the rear arches. The rust originates from the inside cavity which is created at the joint of the inner wheel arch and outer wing panel.
This is accessible by removing the rear interior trim panels etc.
The rust probably started on the day they left the factory and is made worse by condensation which gets trapped and collects in the joint. Inevitably it's just a matter of time before the rust eats through, to the outside which you can see and to the inner wheel arch lip.
This is where people mistakenly think the linings are the cause.
It also annoys be a bit when people advertise cars with 'surface rust only' on the rear arches. The rust is coming through from the inside!

Just saying :)

Paul

Very well put. The Fiesta Mk5 Zetec-S with folded rear arches suffers the same and the arch liner doesn't even touch anywhere near the outer edge of the wheelarch. Had that outer skin of the arch been seam sealed from the factory there wouldn't be any rust issues IMO.

Back