wheel bearing whine...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expatscot

It's probably a topic that has come up before, but am using phone browser and it's not easy to search/navigate...

That said... Am getting the whiny, drone from rear drivers side, needs wheel bearing replaced.

Any idea how much relevant parts are?
Local Ford dealer likely to stock?
And how much of a hassle is it to do?

Much obliged for any info...

You're looking at approx £25-£30 for the bearing, then about half an hour's labour.

Fronts tend to be slightly more expensive than the back, but only by about £10 or so.

All sounds good to me.... both in terms of the cost of the part and the labour involved.

Will see if I can pick up the bearing tomorrow then, and get the job done within a few days.

Hoping of course that the wheel doesn't come adrift in the meantime.... that would be a bit of a bummer :lol:

^ cheers....

Alas, been a bit too lackadaisical this fine Saturday, and my local Ford parts counters are closed. So will have to wait until Monday.

I have seen a few on ebay for ridiculously small amounts (£7.95) but didnt see anything to say they were genuine Ford parts, so will steer clear, besides will just pick it up on Monday and get it done.

No biggie... the few little jaunts I need to make over the weekend shouldn't result in my rear wheel passing me in the fast lane at any point.

Do you need a press to do the wheel bearings on the front? Or is it a case of using a big hammer? Help me please?
Andy

The guy that did mine while I vaguely sort of helped is a friend... for knocking the old ones out, and nudging/tapping the new ones in he used shaped/sized set of tools that fitted the diameter of the wheel hub to apply the force evenly.
Did say it was possible to use 'other tools' not designed for the job to do it, but you risk fudging it up and ruining the new bearing.

In my opinion one of those jobs where the proper tools make all the difference.
{And this was the rear - I believe the front set-up is slightly different}.

Cool... Might just take it to a garge then. It means that there is some one you can blaim if it dosnt work properly.. The thing is it is a bit noisey but it did pass the mot last week so there can't be any play in it.

Thanks for the info
Andy

hmmmm another thing to consider... check how much it is for a new knuckle with bearings in it :p if it is equal or a little more than going to the garage, i think it will be most cost effective to change a new unrusted knuckle :p

Back