When heater on hot smells of chinese? (Weird)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukepuma

Some may say whats the problem? but when you put your heater on hot on you constantly get a chinese type smell although i think its more burning like its not very nice!!! any one have any ideas where i can start to track down the cause of this smell?

cheers
Luke

That does sound a bit odd!

I wonder if your Pollen filter needs changing? If it's gone a bit mouldy or something.

i did think that but would that not smell when on cold also? any chance of leaves getting caught up somewhere? as when i did turn it on blow once it made a slight noise like something was blowing about but doesnt do that any more

The first thing to do is remove the filter for a short while and see what happens. You will probably find that it needs replacing anyway.

You generally get this type of smell from bacteria that builds up in the system when you use the A/C. If you go to Halfords, you can get an aerosol treatment to cure this. £11.99
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... yId_165632

Two things to know about A/C:
- It should be run for at least 30 minutes each month, to prevent the seals drying out.
- Turn off the A/C a little while before you finish your drive, this allows the system to dry out and prevent the bacteria forming.

Hi, def not the pollen filter that is clean as a whistle and is 2 months old was done on service less than 1000 miles ago, i will give the aircon stuff ago it doesnt get used much so could be the problem cheers Rick

It does not matter if the filter is clean, as it is moisture that can form in parts of the pipework when using aircon, that sometimes allows bacteria to grow. You then put the heater on and provide a nice warm enviroment for the bacteria to grow.

Maybe thats where the mechanic lost the spring roll he had for his lunch when he did your service!
:drive:

ah ha indeed Rick sounds very true i have taken the filter out and has made no difference at all lol i got some of the air con cleaner from hally's but will give this a go this weekend seems like if it is in the pipes this stuff will treat it many thanks will let u all knw how goes this weekend

Latest posts

Back