Won't start!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherwass

Have tried to start her up this morning and just hearing a clicking - guess that is the sparks. Battery seems fine and have fuel - could it be the starter motor? Is there anything I could try before calling the AA?

Sounds exactly the same as what happened to Cherie's a couple of months ago. Maybe give the starter a thump with a hammer and see if it frees it up. Must be 'that age' for R platers for them to go.
Probably need a new one though.

Clicking?

Sounds like battery to me (He says having had the same issue just three days back) What makes you think it isn't?

Top tip.

If it is the battery your local Partco (Possibly renamed Unipart now) is the place to go.

My battery £119 at Halfords, £55 + vat at Partco.

Had a new battery last year - good one! The central locking didn't work when it died. This time central working, all lights on, air con came on but only clicking from under the bonnet!

Rob : bet you a case of Adnams finest that it's the starter.

:p

Mechanic says he agrees with battery. AA are coming. Bought the battery from them last year and is guarantted still so let them sort it for me. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the help guys. xx

Hope it is the battery as it'll be a no cost fix :D

*gets ready to eat words - and get Rob a case of Adnams*

Good luck getting it sorted Cher, interested to see the outcome for Adnams :D

Adnams? Anyway. All sorted thanks. It was the battery. Had power but too low to turn the engine over. Battery test says it is fine, so is the alternator and starter motor. AA man says it was prbably because I haven't started her up in about a week and a half - have been poorly again! Anyway, just had a lovely half hour drive around the bumpy lanes locally and she is driving like a dream and everything seesm fine. Just gonna wash her before it rains! Thanks. xxx :-D

By the way, AA bloke - his wife is a Puma owner! She has a silver - had from new 02 plate. All standard as it came. Was eyeing up my number plate design - gonna get his wife one! I handed him one of the flyers and he says they might go to FITP in May on my reccommendation. Watch out for a possible new member from Fenstanton.

Good to hear she's purring like a kitten again

bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
I was wrong, Rob was right
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

Just read this now, I had a similar problem about six months ago when coming back to my kat after it had been standing for almost three months. Had exactly the same symptoms as you - and it was the battery.

It was a 50/50 between the starter motor and the battery.

Exact same symptoms, and mine was the starter.
c090.gif

What are peoples view on jump starting a Puma?

Is it a good idea? I've heard that it's not recommended?

Jump leads are the only way to go.

But you must make certain you connect and disconnect in the correct order.

NEVER bump / push or tow start one or you risk killing your catalytic convertor stone dead.

Ahh. That's what I was thinking of. I knew it was one or the other!

I carry jump leads in my Puma at all times and have used them to jump start 2 non Fords so far from my Puma. (Approached in petrol stations etc)

Back