Worth repairing ???

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lidds6841

Hi guys,
M.O.T man found a few holes under my 2002 Puma, and am considering having a go and repairing them myself.
Just wondered if anyone else has had rot this bad and successfully repaired their car.
Wondered if its worth repairing?

[/ima ge]

[image][/im age]

[image][/ image]

[image][/im age]

Hi Mate
Definitely not, it's much too far gone that one. Keep it for bits and buy another one.
Barry

I've rescued some basket cases in my time but wouldn't touch this one as even the chassis rail's rotten.
Barry

Cant believe how rotten the under side of this car is . It seems a tidy 940000 mile car from the outside, runs sweet as a nut.
Will upset me when scrap man collects it. Problem is I bet most have rot like this hiding underneath its such a shame.

It is pretty rotten that, do you live near the seaside? They all rot to some extent so if you're buying another before you buy get it jacked up and have a look underneath. It's a shame you're going to scrap it without stripping it first, don't you have the room/tools/garage?
Barry

Mine was similar, bought it without mot stupid naive me. Cost £700 to get sorted and a week in the garage. Should have scrapped her but after getting that done don't want to let her go now.

Ha Ha, no its not lived by the seaside but I can see why you asked.
I have got room to store stuff but what is worth keeping? I still have a full engine and box and bumpers, lights ect from another puma I bought ages ago for spares for this one, but never seemed to get any interest in the parts. I thought maybe some of the fiesta guys may be interested in the engine and bits for an engine conversion but never had any bites.

Engines are definitely worth keeping as they were only in this car but the rest, it depends if you are running a Puma in the future.
Barry

it can be sorted with a lot of fab and welding, depends how much you are willing to spend on the car

Fecking hell they are some serious holes. Worth having a go if you have room and time to take it off the road. If not like others have said unless you have the skills and tools it may be too far gone.

Anything that is easily removable and expensive / impossible to buy - especially if you intend to buy another.

i.e. seats, carpet (tend to go for around £100), hcv, resistor pack, stereo, headlights, rear lights, stereo, door mirror covers, front grill, if the door seals are in good nick - take them as well (like rocking horse shit to get hold of, unless you are loaded (Ford £90 each)), etc.

Certain parts when I was doing up my Puma were either very expensive or impossible to source.

I repaired this one last year http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=29080
It was very bad, but yours looks even worse. I repaired mine but honestly, it really takes a lot of work and cost (products, parts, materials, etc...) if the sills are in this condition there is definitely much more to come. However, it is an excellent way of learning to weld and repair bodywork. Up to you how much time/money you want to spend on it.

Be interesting to know what the last MOT said re. adviseries....doubt that has happened in the last year....more worrying would be the fact that you were driving it like that.

Scrappy sadly I think :-(

RE those holes 'I can see the pub from ere!'

Seriously, salvage what you can and bin it. There's probably much more rot you can't see :(

Back