zetec engine misfire

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfie74

could a blowing back box cause a misfire, it happens more when going up hill or around corners
its a 1.6 and it was standing for a year, it has no service history, it has a blowing rear exhaust and a bad battery
not got a clue were to start, theres no engine management light on, thanks, its done 142k miles

im just going to throw this out there please somebody call me silly person if im not on the right track as im just learning about these engines myself.
ok my 1.7 developed a misfire and i also noticed that the oil level was down so i did a quick google and came up with rocker cover gasket leaking oil into the plug resses inbetween the cam shafts. which would eventually shot out the plugs and cause a misfire.
now if your going round corners or up hills and its started to misfire then maybe its just at that point where a little bit more oil leakage and boom your misfire will me perminant till its sorted.
just a thought. ??

Blowing back box most likely irrelevant, as is the uphill or round corners but as that is when the engine is most likely to be under load (ie pulling) it normally points to coil pack problem.
Having said that as it has stood for a year it is always worth going back to basics first....remove plugs, clean, regap/replace as needed.......check all leads for cracks/cleanliness/fit etc.......then if it persists look at the coil pack, again..clean/check for cracks/fit of leads etc before replacing

I would take it to your local garage for them to have a look it sounds to me like your plugs or coil pack or maybe both need changing. :)

got new battery, put in some injection cleaner, seems a lot better now, new fuel filter next as it looks like it has never been done, cant see how the clip comes of thou

Latest posts

Back