Puma won't start

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Well! Looks like my Puma has gone and died on me within two weeks! So the story so far...

My girlfriend took her out for the normal run to the station, called me in a panic as smoke was coming out the engine bay - managed to limp her home, noticed most of the water had disappeared.

Topped up the water and oil (oil was above the low marking), lots of juddering when turning the key but wouldn't catch. Tried a bump start which worked, plume of white smoke out the exhaust stank of petrol/oil and engine running sounded awful. Got a battery booster attached and took the water cap off, engine turned over this time with a burst of water shooting up, still sounding pretty rough.

No obvious leaks or any patches where she's been parked, has done 200 odd miles without any problems since I bought her - no warning lights etc, although we did start to hear a grind from the steering wheel when turning corners.

From the searching I've done it would seem like the head gasket to me but I'm certainly no expert, is there anything else worth doing myself before getting it taken to be looked at? Just paid £750 for the car doubt fixing the HG is gonna be worth it on a 100k engine :roll:

Sounds like head gasket.

Wouldn't even attempt to repair that engine, sounds like you've finished it off with all the diagnosis.

Cheaper to drop another one in if you got for similar mileage to the car. Will get more expensive as you come down the miles but you'll not really make the car worth any more by spending twice as much on this particular job.

Where is it?

OK thanks Ian, the car is currently at home in Grays, Essex

Time for a coffee and a chat with the lady see what she thinks -chuckles-

Might be worth speaking to Steavie on here, he's in Woodford Green.

Shame we didn't have a bit more notice as I'm seeing him this weekend at Trax, could have taken on down for you for him to fit.

He may also have something suitable from stock already.

Back