My mk3 mondeo/ST170 brake fitting guide

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn_

My mk3 mondeo ST170 brake fitting guide.

I bought 2 mk3 mondeo calipers for 15.99 with 5 quid postage each.I got the calipers the carriers the carrier bolts and the pads were like new so in my eyes it was a bit of a bargain.

I also got a pair of ST170 front brake discs for £40.01.

Right here goes.I attacked the calipers with the grinder.

There are 4 ridges 2 in the middle of the caliper and 1 at each end which I grinded down.

There was also 2 parts of the caliper carriers at the ends that were sticking out so I thought I would shave these off too.

I gave them a coat of primer to make them look a bit better.I will paint them black soon.

They are defo a bigger disc.

I trial fitted them to the car then put the wheel back on to see if I needed to take any more off the calipers.

I found that I needed to take a bit more of the caliper carriers.

I wasn't happy with the bolts cause they looked really close to the disc when the bolts were in and fastened tight.I fitted some washers to space them out a bit.

I found I needed to take a bit more of the calipers cause they were still catching slightly.

Happy with that.

Anyone want a bit of brake caliper.

Standard disc/caliper.

Mk3 mondeo/ST170 brakes.

I would say it took me about an hour and a half to trim the calipers down drill the hubs for the bigger bolts and fit the parts.I havent properly tested them yet cause im still bedding the brakes in.

So all in all a cheap brake conversion.I did heat the mondy brake caliper bleed nipples up the day before so that they would come loose cause I thought if I do this conversion and cant bleed the brakes I would of been fooked.

Shaving the mk3 calipers to fit behind 15's is a tad a iffy subject matter on here, but nice work with the refurb and the price.. amazing!

If I thought it was dangerous I wouldn't of done it.I kept an eye on how much I shaved off.The car has no wheel weights in the middle or the outer edge at the mo anyway.

I wouldn't be happy driving a car with calipers ground down or calipers that sat that close to the wheel. Why take a short cut with safety?

I cant imaging stones locking wheels up.Ive worked on cars/vans for 21 years and havent heard of this before.I worked on cars that have had big brakes on them as well so the gap between there wheels n the calipers are small.

oilburner said:
I wouldn't be happy driving a car with calipers ground down or calipers that sat that close to the wheel. Why take a short cut with safety?

if I was worried about safety a wouldnt be driving a 22 year sierra cossie either.

Lifes to short to worry about what ifs.

That may be so, the calipers wont have suffered much if at all but the stone is a real danger. You dont want to be responsible for anyones death because you dont care for what ifs.

Whats dangerous about a sierra cossie by the way?

Have you not seen crash tests on cossies on you tube.There not very safe compare to modern cars

Good for someone to put I guide together so well dun to you for that Glenn. I don't personally agree with the grinding of the calipers but I agree with people being able to do as they wish.
Take it u work in faverdale estate?

Exactly that is the problem. It either has NO crumple zones to absorb energy, or the body colapses in crash and cabin gets defromed as well. In first case the shock is transfered to the people inside and they get injured/killed because of it, in second they have no space to stay uninjured/alive….

mrbushrat said:
Good for someone to put I guide together so well dun to you for that Glenn. I don't personally agree with the grinding of the calipers but I agree with people being able to do as they wish.
Take it u work in faverdale estate?

Like ive said if I wasnt happy or didnt think it was safe I wouldnt of done it.

Yeh I in the royal mail workshop matey. Do you work in faverdale.

Back