418 is of to get the new engine

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hopefully it isnt a catastrophic major cast part failure...that would be bad news, mind you am sure we can make up a solution...

okay bolt missing so cam shaft sensor not fixed properly...damn lucky we did it though as the main anciliaries pulley had come lose and was about to come off, if that had come off the main crank pulley would have been next and catastrophic failure would follow...that was very lucky indeed...we put it back on torqued it up and thread seal and it was off again within minutes. it had become so rounded that it just wound the bolt off again...so we fitted a new pulley and bingo problem solved....running sweet again but those damn gaz coilovers sound like rattle cans really annoying me...we have the right top mounts now but they are still rattling. am not best pleased...

okay car back together, now fitted with 400lb springs instead of the 275 they at gaz recommended...she now feels like an FRP again...the 275's were way too soft...nice ride just too soft...and i am not getting any wheel arch rubbing now, although the anti rattle springs have lifted it a bit too high, will fit them top side only i think, can see why you would need two per unit...

will now get onto the wheels and tyres, going to find me some 8j wheesl so I can fit 225 front and 225 rear...pumanoob did 235 but he thinks they are too wide for the wheel...

yes will get some, never very good at that.PICTURES THAT IS..took one set of anti-rattle sprigs off and it is now no higher than std but still catching, think I need 500 lb springs...not easy setting this car up...and i still want to go to 8.5 j wheels and 235 tyres on the front and back...that should improve grip with the right tyres...then I CAN GET ONTO TIDYING THE INTERIOR WHICH IS GETTING VERY TIRED NOW...

Hi Paul
Been reading your reports on the gaz coilovers.i have in the last 2 days ordered some.i do like the idea of a softer ride(getting on a bit ).i would like a lower height setting.Have bought some comp th1781s 8x17 et 35 so should be the same in the arch as the oem alloy at et 28.my concern is your problem with rattling??.did you obtain the anti rattle springs and top mounts from gaz ?,all info gladly taken on board so when i ring gaz it might seem as i know what im talking about
cheers artie

I dont think you can lower it at all, the gaz at 275's will be too soft, 400llbs close but i think 450-500 likely best especially if you want lower, and the rattling will drive you mad, the springs help but then you cant get it low enough...the dampers are excellent but the springs seem to be very very odd..the rattly annoying beyond belief as it makes the car feel really tinny...

manifold gone, back with Chris for an upgrade and ceramic coating of the exhaust manifold...and N/a is getting bigger valves.

Hi Paul, in our experience i think you will loose out putting bigger valves in as your not pulling 220bhp or 9000rpm which is where the standard valves are restrictive.

interesting...we are running 8000 plus, I was hoping to have her a bit more tractable than usual but it hasn't worked so we are going for a bigger valve solution to increase the flow...any other suggestions as I am well disapointed with 185

Paul is that 185bhp at the flywheel? If so that is very dissapointing, our standard bottom end race car with very mild cams made 182bhp and you know what my engine made.

It sounds like the head isnt flowing the air, but like i say the valves are definately not the issue which leaves it down to cams or the ports, i know chris doesnt tend to use that big a cam so thats where i would say your issue is.

no at the wheels. so assume around 200-205 at the flywheel...we are going to go for bigger valves and higher lift cams and push the rev range up to 4500 to 9000 for the power, not where I really wanted to be but i do like a high revving engine...I am a biker after all...ideally I should have spent the money on another car, got a bit carried away with these pumas...its all a bit of a waste of money now...but I will see it through to the end and have three very nice cars...very quick, just a bit pointless...

the n/a will still get a 60 bhp nitrous shot which should be enough for what I want and should not stress the engine too much...so should end up with a car with 280 bhp which is enough..

Even so Paul, i remember you originally planned to have the engine at the same power as mine.
The only way to get power out of these small engines is to rev them so hopefully you will eventually get the figures you were after.
Make sure you post pictures of the cars and the graphs :)

will do...chris is sure with the bigger valves we can get 220 plus but am a bit disappointed to be honest given the cost and the work that we are only at this level...I would go to 10k rpm if it gave me the extra power, i love high revving engines..

Thats the trouble with normally aspirated engines, mine held 220bhp till 10,000rpm but unless you go crazy with inlet and exhaust manifolds you wont get a puma engine to peak there and if you did it would have a small powerband.

Im so happy with how mine pulls, it makes over 200bhp for 3000rpm has 155 at 5500 and 230 at 9000, only issue is i might need a qauife gear kit as its now geared for 170mph lol

RyanG said:
Thats the trouble with normally aspirated engines, mine held 220bhp till 10,000rpm but unless you go crazy with inlet and exhaust manifolds you wont get a puma engine to peak there and if you did it would have a small powerband.

Im so happy with how mine pulls, it makes over 200bhp for 3000rpm has 155 at 5500 and 230 at 9000, only issue is i might need a qauife gear kit as its now geared for 170mph lol
200 bhp @ 3k rpm...nice... only joking...typo maybe..

How does one get an engine mod like that and at what cost????

Dwighet said:
RyanG said:

200 bhp @ 3k rpm...nice... only joking...typo maybe..

How does one get an engine mod like that and at what cost????

Not a typo you have read it wrong lol it has over 200bhp for a 3000rpm window, from 6800 to 9800
The engine in mine is around the 10k mark

Ok. My bad. 10k. Wow. Is that for road or do you race/rally.
Sorry to hijack this thread.

Dwighet said:
Ok. My bad. 10k. Wow. Is that for road or do you race/rally.
Sorry to hijack this thread.

No worries, its a semi race engine but its in my road car as i dont do many miles or track days.

read his thread here, its a damn fine read

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back