ABS sensor removal from knuckle

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grogee

Any tips for getting this out? Last resort is grind head off and lever out but this runs risk of damaging sensor...IMG_20210530_121846300.jpg

Use a dremel with the metal disc (ie small grinder) and cut at base where the nut meets the body, then you might have a better chance of removal.
Of of course after that you could heat it up up, but be very careful with oil and petrol knocking about!

I'd put some cardboard around whilst cutting to stop the sparks going all over the place.

That's kind of where I was headed, destructive removal! Can't see an alternative unfortunately. Will report back after the swearing

Ok so the good news is that I got the screw out in one piece. The bad news is that the sensor wasn't so lucky.

I think these screws were originally 8mm hex but over time and rust this shrank a bit especially after a wire wheel. So I managed to bash a 7mm socket onto the head and then it came out. I think the bashing also helped free the thread.

However the sensor was stuck pretty good. Tried to lever it out after rotating it slightly back and forth but it just broke and spewed out a load of copper wire. Ah well replacements seem pretty cheap so no worries.

It looks like it's do-able if you're able to tap it through from the other side, but of course it nestles pretty close to the tone ring so there's no way of getting anything onto it from the wheel side. Unless you remove the hub completely which I thought about but I don't have a vice/press suitable for that.

It is not possible to remove a Front ABS sensor without destroying it. Before fitting the new sensor measure its diameter with a vernier or micrometer.

Find a suitable drill bit to clean up the hole, finally finishing with a dremel stone bit.

Now check that the new sensor is a tight but sliding fit, that can be pushed in by hand .

Apply copper slip to the area that fits in the hole and provided that you have now made it a sliding fit, you will hopefully be able to remove it in the future.

In reality though, the sensor only needs to be removed if it's faulty.

It doesn't need to be removed but I'm painting up the front knuckles as I don't like the way they look all crusty. I've removed the worst of the rust with wire wheel and applied 2 coats of red oxide primer. They'll be gloss black eventually.

I bought a couple of cheap pattern sensors which I'm hoping will behave themselves once fitted.

Agree with your refit method of applying copper grease which I use liberally on most bits and it's already paid off in spades.

Bit late to the thread but when doing mine recently I had to resort to cutting it off with the grinder then wait until I'd pressed the old hub and bearing out then knock what was left out. I also used a euro car parts abs sensor.

Latest posts

Back