Adding a cruise controll / audio on wheel switch.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt do much usefull today except loosing some black srews for the instrument cluster down in the aircondition hole on the dashboard,and they are lost hahah :--) But I learn , will keep screws on a better place next time.

Well I did do some usefull things, added the fuse(cruise controll) in the main fusebox so the brown wire is out of the picture.

I found the switch, I guess its better to look for it than useing drawings, I guess am to used to do that on my earlier workingplace everything in field was tagged and we had a 3d program of the working area for looking up tags. yeap its lazzzzzzzzzzy.

Well back to work I took some pictures, I ve added some commens on all of them need your help.

First did you cut the tubes? in bth ends or did you manised tu get it off? , I tried to get it off by turing it around and around but I didnt manised to get it off in nighther of the ends.

image.php

And than for the brake pedal switch, I tried to messure ohm to find out what was live end and what was not but I dont get it I get full connection to grown (minus) on both.

image.php

Next up the VSS, I probably messed up there when I was looking for the VSS , I removed this cable and I just cant remember witch way it was connected,
I thought everything was dummy made :-( It was attached on back of the instrument panel.

image.php

PS: The VSS and rev counter am I any way close, where is pin 21 and 18?
image.php

Ok, first things first, yes, I cut the vacuum tube to add the T piece.

Regarding the brake lamp switch, you need to check the volts on each pin, not resistance.

Plugs will only go back on one way, however is yours an analogue or digital dash? Pin numbers I gave you were for digital, yours may be different, as I think the digital one only has one plug, not two.

I have an analogue instrument cluster 2 plugs.
I asume the white plug is the one for the VSS since it was attached behind the speed.

Are you sure that is the right wiring diagram? Didn't think there would be a speed control module on a Puma?

FlashBastd said:
Are you sure that is the right wiring diagram? Didn't think there would be a speed control module on a Puma?

You completely right, I added wrong picture, its been removed now, couldnt quite understand why I found that image today and not yesterday, this was for the cougar :).

The PCM is that near by the instrument cluster?

Can I get the VSS from here?

Is it from this you ment?

image.php

Yes take the VSS from the PCM, and no, that is the brake fluid level switch, under the bonnet, you need the brake pedal switch, under the dashboard.

I will be looking once more, only found all the other switches
It would been great to find the drawing of the stop pedal switch for the puma 1998 model I dont understand why I cant find it on TIS.
Then I didnt have to put back the battery :) Its not connected at the moment (the cold weather is stealing ppwer when its standing in the garage)

Can you controll check this for the dipswitch

image.php

cheers :--)

Found this one here, Its a drawing of the switch I found some days ago it matched the collors,
The switch is activated when the brake pedal is not used I think, so its a normal closed switch.
Its for the stop light. But I pretty sure it will work if I take it from there dont ya recond?
It located over the brake pedal.

image.php

image.php

The rev counter can I go from here? or is this just for the instrument light, no rev signal?

The brake pedal, you are correct (I did say take it from the switch at the top of the brake pedal...)

Not sure on the tacho, I will try to have a look a bit later. Now it is light outside I will try to get some pics of the brake pedal switch, and also possibly my dipswitch setting.

brake pedal switch

I think I might have got it wrong, Brake pedal switch = stop lamp switch?

If so then I have found the switch. I will be adding it tomorrow.

I have been looking at drawings for your 2001 model, You get the VSS directly up to the instrument cluster pin 18 as you said before.
I have to take it directly from pin 58 at PCM. (SO the grey wire to pin 58)

You get the rev counter from 8-GB10 pin 21. I have a pin called 8-GB10 comming from pin 8 at the C44b connector
( blue wire connect)

The stop lamp switch , I connect the red wire to C62 stop lamp switch number 1 , ( along with the V and V/OG)
Connect the purple to number 2 /the other side of C62 stop lamp switch along with the 14-LG23.

FlashBastd said:
The brake pedal activates the stop lamp, hence they are the same.

Great :oops:
I first thought there had to be a second switch like on the cougar there is one brake pedal position switch also a stop lamp switch.

I have been out to check mine this evening, if I recall correctly, the brake pedal switch is at the top of the following pic, pointing down;

CruiseControl002.jpg

And my dip switches, working from tacho, not VSS, are;

on
on
off
on
off
off
off

Hope that helps!

:)

Thanks for the picture, the blue switch looks familliar to me now , the stop lamp switch connector was attached to it.

Great you checked the dipswitch cheers ,
I see my dipp switch wodnt been very good. I agree the car is a light weight,
so dip 4 and 5 (ON and OFF)
the 8000 PPM is that the pulse for the speedometer?

you said earlier you tried using the VSS,
What is the biggest efort of using the VSS instead of the tacho ?

I couldn't get a good connection from the VSS, so I used the tacho with 8000 PPM. I am in the process of trying to get the VSS to work, and will probably try 4000 PPM. Also I have now changed the sensitivity to the middle setting, as the car was slow to react when going up hill, etc.

Latest posts

Back