Aftermarket Induction / Blitzed by a Skoda

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lb81

So, minding my own business on the A33 this eve, at some lights and got completely obliterated from the lights by a Fabia VRS - a new one in that nasty green as per the ridiculous advert on telly...
Admittedly he got a bit of a jump on me, but I was no where near until the Puma got going. Now I know the VRS has the turbo 1.4 DSG etc and runs 150+, but its pretty lardy and I would have thought the Puma' lighter weight would offset the power advantage and give similar power to weight....
No problem as i plan some proper upgrades for a power hike but it got me thinking, I have a universal induction kit fitted mostly for the noise tbh, but I have felt recently it's not breathing as well as I thought it would especially at low speeds when the air flow is at minimum. I have it fitted straight on to the MAF and it kind of nestles on rather than in the lower portion of the airbox so still gets the feed from the wing duct. But looking at it, it must only be getting most of it's air from this on a small portion of the filters surface. I was thinking of removing the box completely and letting the filter sit further down near the grille and maybe DIY some ducting. Has anyone else done this? any benefit?

Would be good to get the breathing sorted before I start on the exhaust and manifold etc! Soon those menacing skodas will eat my dust, which of course they already do if the road has any corners :twisted:
Cheers

Best thing to do would be to get a box made up to enclose it and have a cold feed going to it. Induction cones sucking a lot of hot air in the engine bay, much worse than if the standard air filter is left in.

Obviously the noise does make up for it but in terms of power gains too then sort out a heat shield as a minimum.

Reechard said:
Best thing to do would be to get a box made up to enclose it and have a cold feed going to it. Induction cones sucking a lot of hot air in the engine bay, much worse than if the standard air filter is left in.

Obviously the noise does make up for it but in terms of power gains too then sort out a heat shield as a minimum.

Good point, maybe I can cut up the top of the air box so it encloses the filter and sort an additional cold air feed! At least it would provide some shielding from the engine. At the moment I would guess it sits just under the bonnet lining which can't be doing it any favours in terms of air flow!

ScubaSteve - have you used any additional pipe on the filter side of the MAF to let it sit lower down in the space left by the airbox??

Cheers

I'll take some pictures of how mine sits as I am off to work on it this morning.

I need to build up a heat shield for mine but just need to get the car running at the moment.

Someone on here has a created a steel shield for theirs but I cant think who it is. I'll try and search later on to show you.

Reechard said:
I'll take some pictures of how mine sits as I am off to work on it this morning.

I need to build up a heat shield for mine but just need to get the car running at the moment.

Someone on here has a created a steel shield for theirs but I cant think who it is. I'll try and search later on to show you.

Excellent cheers! I'm working on mine now going to try and adapt the air box first and go from there. will let you know how I get on :)

urm not so sure a heat shield with a cone filter will make that much of a difference in the puma engine bay it is always debatable whether this works or not as the engine bay gets hot full stop when the car is stationary in the summer .

I have a big cone filter and have fitted 2 x cold feeds, one fed from a bell mounted in my bumper to be honest it doesn't make that much difference .The worse performance is in the summer and sat in traffic or when the outside air temp is warm

But on the track and moving constantly cold air is fed to the filter ---

P1010097a.jpg

Cheers Voa, I'm liking the bumper mounted feed!

Have actually had quite a productive day on this problem. Sacked off any ideas of chopping up the airbox as it was never going to be a good fit and would just look nasty and probably do little. Whilst working I inspected the filter and found 2 holes where it had obviously been rubbing on the lower portion of the air box which will have been doing me no favours either. Nipped in to Halfords and found a universal fit filter enclosed in a chrome coloured heat shield for £30! obviously not going to be top quality but for the money figured it was worth a go. Got it mounted and sitting much lower in the engine bay now the air box is totally gone and can notice the difference straight away. I have run some large diameter duct from behind the lower grille up to the corner the open end of the filter faces, but now thinking I might try and turn it so it faces the airflow coming in to the engine bay as it's supposedly shielded from the heat at the rear. Will probably try this tomorrow and post up how I get on!
(it also sounds better, not as raucous as the regular one!)

lb81 said:
Cheers Voa, I'm liking the bumper mounted feed!

Have actually had quite a productive day on this problem. Sacked off any ideas of chopping up the airbox as it was never going to be a good fit and would just look nasty and probably do little. Whilst working I inspected the filter and found 2 holes where it had obviously been rubbing on the lower portion of the air box which will have been doing me no favours either. Nipped in to Halfords and found a universal fit filter enclosed in a chrome coloured heat shield for £30! obviously not going to be top quality but for the money figured it was worth a go. Got it mounted and sitting much lower in the engine bay now the air box is totally gone and can notice the difference straight away. I have run some large diameter duct from behind the lower grille up to the corner the open end of the filter faces, but now thinking I might try and turn it so it faces the airflow coming in to the engine bay as it's supposedly shielded from the heat at the rear. Will probably try this tomorrow and post up how I get on!
(it also sounds better, not as raucous as the regular one!)

Im going to go for the totally enclosed option and feed in from the front bumper, looking forward to seeing what you have done.

Yes mate, it looks pretty good actually! I also stuck one of those little filters on the end of the crank case breather hose as it was flapping loose and nothing on the end with the air box gone...

my heat/splash guard works great the cold air feed goes in the bottom and traps the cold air in the box,i have got a lid for it to if things get really hot or muddy but to be honest when the bonnet is down there isnt much of a gap anyway

image.php

image.php

lb81 said:
Yes mate, it looks pretty good actually! I also stuck one of those little filters on the end of the crank case breather hose as it was flapping loose and nothing on the end with the air box gone...

Post a pick up m8 . This is my cone filter - I had a enclosure made up using reflective foil and cardboard but to be honest I wasn't too sure about the thermal efficiency. Guess I could use some heat resistive material like ceramiboard used in the building trade but for a track day car it isn't worth it.

P1010100a.jpg

The crankcase filter is needed if you remove the air box and don't have a crank case connector on your cone. Alternatively you can run a oil catchment tank and then have the crank case filter mounted on that.

Ah cheers for the pics, both look good. Will post up a pic later with what I've done when I'm not using my phone to post. Got to finish putting my new seats in collected from ScubaSteve yesterday :grin:

Drivers seat is in! didn't get home until 7.30 so by the time the kids were in bed and I got outside it was nearly 9. Determined I was going to fit the drivers seat though and was out doing a lap of the ring road by 10 lol!

Very! I'm really impressed with how they sit in the car. It's transformed the driving position :grin:

Latest posts

Back