Budget Puma TURBO Project!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im Pumanoobs mate and this car is not fast! It fookin awesome :twisted: . Ive owned some fast cars and this Puma is no walk over. Will be going down the quarter again soon and i would expect a high 13 from this.

A credit to Pumanoob how has done 99% of the work and research him self.

I really cant see a std 1.7 puma getting anything quicker then a 16 sec 1/4 mile, i raced VVC mini in his rover coupe i think he got a high 15sec 1/4 in it (sure youll correct me if im wrong) in my 1.7 with full miltek and K&N, and i got totally anilated!! As shown in the following video!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owSK2mNWQOs[/youtube]
Id challenge any body in a 1.7 std puma to try and beat his metro, which we have evidence did a 1/4 in 15.6 secs (I think)
I know Clarkie has done the 1/4 in his puma, has anybody else actually done a 1/4 in a puma, modified, or un modified, it would be interesting to see what times people have got, i dont want to hear about what youve heard of, only what youve actually seen with your own eyes!! :thumbs:

@ Scotty: do you know what kind of torque that clutch can take? The 1.8 is only 115bhp (blacktop), so id have thought the 220mm puma one would be better.

@ VVC mini, thanks mate, the other 1% came from you and your dad!! :wink: It was You and your dad that told me what a turbo was and how it worked!!! I didnt have a clue before that day!!!

@ Tyeboi: Yeah mate, with all that im pretty sure youve got a wider track then me now, youll need FRP arches!!!

Take a look here, its not going to be completely accurate, but for most the N/A cars, its quite accurate
http://www.letstorquebhp.com/fwd.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Racing puma 1/4 16.24secs in ideal conditions, and 16.44secs on a std rd.
1.7 Puma 1/4 17.02secs in ideal conditions and 17.22secs on a std rd. Unless modifications are done, either engine or weight, i really cant see those being too far off. Im not saying its not possible, but id have to see it to believe it.

Ask Jacko mate he is currently driving (abusing sorry) the hell out of one in his car.

He said its fine and really takes a pounding from him- not sure its sutiable for your application matey

Abusing lol :lol: !!! Cheers mate, ill give him a PM, unless he happens to read this post????? :?:
I think an uprated ST150 would be better suited, they are running big power through the supercharged ones, so ill have to do some digging into what clutch kits theyre using.
Lovin the profile pic scotty, got to be 1 of my all time favourite comedians!!!

I'm hoping not, there's an st150 clutch kit on pumaspeed that says it's for fiestas pushing out over 200bhp, and mine isn't going to be making that much power, so I think that might be what I'll go for!

So is anybody going to post 1/4 mile times?
I'll try and get some more videos up next weekend,I'll try and get a few races with good power cars as a comparison.

TyeBoi said:
hi matt i hear your vvc is back on the road again with a new engine lol.

Hey bud ye new engine. I should of lowered the compression on the old engine :lol:
Here you are breaking your motor! that's a shame.

15.3 the metro run ill bring the slips around when i see you next pumanoob. Will be good to compare my ZR slip to your puma one to see 60ft times and that.

possibly not any more dude. things are looking up... will see after ford fair!

that metro would wipe the floor with a lot of expensive cars lol.

Anybody on here know of a rolling rd day comming up in the midlands any time soon?? I'd love to know what power my car is pushing out at the moment, Ill go and get it weighed soon so I can get a power to weight ratio. I know it's a bit sad, but I worked out what difference a second makes at 100mph. It's just over 44 meters, & that's only if the other car crosses the line at 100mph too! If they cross it at a lower speed, the distance is greater. That's how much difference a second makes! Should be fitting my walbro fuel pump Sat, as I'm planning a little more power, and I think I've maxed out the standard 1! Pics to follow!!

Take the turbo off and stick 100bph nos kit on 225bph less hassle

Paul

As always, it was on an old airfield! :thumbs:
Yeah, could go the Nos route, but carrying Nos around all the time is not as safe, and i think if i recall correctly, its illegal to drive around with a loaded Nos bottle (could be wrong). Also, a decent Nos kit isnt cheap, and they are not cheap to keep refilling them. VVC mini has a Nos kit, but chooses not to use it, i race this car every weekend, and it just costs me the fuel, and thats it. I suppose its personal preferance, but i dont think the std clutch, or gearbox would take 225bhp, aswell as pistons and conrods. Also you wouldnt use nos in 1st and most of second gear, so i stand with my choice of turbo, maybe ill add nos aswell, for an extra kick!!! :cool:

Ok, so i fitted my new Walbro fuel pump today!! :grin:
PICT0084.jpg

PICT0085.jpg

Its a fair bit bigger then the std pump
PICT0086.jpg

PICT0090.jpg

I just removed the plug that fits to the std pump, and fitted the walbro pump plug, and soldered the wires to the sender plug, so its just a plug and play. I did have a pic of it fitted to the sender, but ive somehow managed to delete it by accident, and im not taking the fuel tank off again just for a pic!! You can see it in this pic a little!
PICT0091.jpg

Thanks to Tyeboi and BlackKnight for the advice on fitting, was a fairly easy task, just a bit fiddly at times!

LOL, you'll be crying into your cornflakes mate when you get a spanking from the big cat!!! Puma is king of the streets, I'll retire your coupe!!

lol!

also, that bin has seen some action ! i was soldering a lambda on that last time!. dont you love the unexpected items that help you like a sturdy bin lol

Ha ha, yeah mate, that bin is the recycling bin, that doubles as a soldering bench!!! Why on earth i, and other people decide to solder on that bin all the time, i dont know!!! :lol:
Well its official, my puma is quite fast, went out racing today, and beat a subaru impreza!! He werent most pleased when he finally caught up with me, i got the daggers!! Not sure if it was modified, but it was definately the turbo model, i could hear the dump valve! And also a VVC metro, 150 bhp in a 700kg car, thats 217bhp per tonne, so im happy with that. Im running 10psi now, so pretty much the max im going to get out of the car, still getting fuel cut out when accelerating hard sometimes, i thought it was the fuel pump, but it seems not, so i might try upgrading injectors, but cant for the life of me find the flow rate of std injectors!! :-(

nice seein u and the car tonight it looks amazing i will pm you my details and the details of that private strip we going to a week sunday also we are doing a roller day £15 per person. the attention your car got tonight off a few of our lads would love for them to see this wip but they wont sign up to a owners club lol

Latest posts

Back