Can you get these for Puma's?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr@c

Can you get these for Puma's? And if so from where? Cause I cant find em lol :D

Any info you can gice would be great on this. Also the whole unit not just the handle the pic is just for ref.

Cheers P :thumbs:

rallyshifter-1.jpg

Hydraulic handbrakes... unless you are doing rallying... this wont be much use. Also, swapping your exsisting one for one of these, you wont pass an mot with it.
But they are not specific to a vehicle, they are all universal and you can find them at many rally parts outlets.

Flying Scotsman said:
Hydraulic handbrakes... unless you are doing rallying... this wont be much use. Also, swapping your exsisting one for one of these, you wont pass an mot with it.
But they are not specific to a vehicle, they are all universal and you can find them at many rally parts outlets.

Cheers for the reply, I have looked about but alot Ive found say that they are for specific cars due to gearbox fitted? :(
As far as MOT the Puma wont ever be going street legal again lol so that wouldnt bother me to be honest. I am hoping to get it out on rallys eventually aswell, hence all the research latley :D

Kizza said:
if your looking for a short shifter I make them £70 posted. gives a shorter throw by over 15% over the standard puma shifter and nearly 25% better than the fiesta shifter.

Cheers, I had spotted them on the bay and also here, ill keep it in mind :thumbs:

Flying Scotsman said:
Yeah, its a short throw for the gearbox that you're after right?
The picture to me looks like a hydraulic handbrake.

No, was trying to find out if you can get an Hydraulic Handbrake for a Puma :D If it wasnt possible then I may look into a short shift but would prefer the hydraulic for my purposes :thumbs:

youre confusing me... "you may look into a short shiter but would prefer the hydraulic hand brake", not to insult your intelligence but you know theyre two different things right... and you said earlier that you thought they were specific to cars due to gearbox fitted... the HB has nothing to do with the gearbox...

Flying Scotsman said:
youre confusing me... "you may look into a short shiter but would prefer the hydraulic hand brake", not to insult your intelligence but you know theyre two different things right... and you said earlier that you thought they were specific to cars due to gearbox fitted... the HB has nothing to do with the gearbox...

HAHAHA :-D you know Ive confused the hell out of myself :D this is why it makes sense to consentrate on one thing and one thing only :p

I must apologise as I have my one year old climbing all over the place, while trying to write on here as well as trying to sort some work out.

The whole thing i was after was a shifter not a handbrake hence I mentioned the gearbox fitment, i believe they call it a sequential gear shifting, used primarily on Rally cars. so can you get them for Puma's as the ones ive seen are specific to types of car, I know there was one fitted to a Puma Rally some years back but correct me if im wrong that used a Cosworth setup?

I hope this makes more sense now lol :thumbs:

PS if the pics wrong blame Google it was the first one that popped up haha

PPS Now I feel like a N*B lol

Ok this is the bad boy I should have posted :

gear1c.jpg

I know they would be expensive, and I believe someone like Quaife for instance does them but are there ones for Puma's? as said on previous post about the Puma Rally car fitted with one, but as mentioned im sure it was fitted with Cosworth gear etc or is there a way to convert or would it mean swapping eveything out etc. Can you tell im a noob to all this haha

cheers P

Okay, to get the sifter you need the gearbox. They are commonly know as Dog Boxes.
Yes you can get one for the Puma made by Hewland and it costs........ £8500... it also need rebuild every 500 miles. These gearboxes are not designed for road use, the teeth wear easily, that's why you can have such quick gear changes as the teeth are ground together. This is not something you want to be fitting. As fantastic as they are... you should stick with something like a short throw.

Flying Scotsman said:
Okay, to get the sifter you need the gearbox. They are commonly know as Dog Boxes.
Yes you can get one for the Puma made by Hewland and it costs........ £8500... it also need rebuild every 500 miles. These gearboxes are not designed for road use, the teeth wear easily, that's why you can have such quick gear changes as the teeth are ground together. This is not something you want to be fitting. As fantastic as they are... you should stick with something like a short throw.

Well that doesn't sound good, doing a rebuild that often would be a pain. Thanks for the info much appreciated m8 :thumbs:

Just to point out that a dog box describes how the gears engage within the box (as opposed to a box that uses synchros between the gears), a sequential gearbox describes the shift mechanism (ie sequential rather than more conventional H pattern). Though invariably sequential boxes use dog engagement.

Quaife do a sequential IB5 as well, no on-line price that I could find though, but expect it to be £4K+

Latest posts

Back