Car Wax

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
collinite 476s is better than dodo juice and cheaper for a full pot.

only because its a harder wax, I get a much better finish from the dodo juice than the collonite which I use through the winter :)

i can recomend poorboys products, my brother is a valeter/detailer and is also a stockist for poorboys and the products are great, the black hole glaze on dark cars is brilliant!

Collinite 476s is a hybrid sealant wax and will easily outlast any dodo juice wax that I'm aware of (till mid 2011) even supernatualv2. Completely depends what you want from your wax/sealant. For a winter wax/sealant durability is key. What I've done in the past for my winter prep (LSP alone) is approx 15-20 coats of Jeffs Acrylic Sealant, or two layers of FK1000P or 476s (for even coverage)

My all time fav all round wax (price,durability,application,depth,gloss,smell,beading/sheeting ect) funny enough has already been mentioned above .. Poorboys Natty's wax, its simple amazing, original or blue. The limited edition red is good if you fancy something a little bit more special.

To get the best out of wax you should really polish the car first, which basically exfoliates all the knackered laquer which causes discoloration. If you just wax it then it will be shiny, but retain the imperfections underneath.

I work as a valet/detailer and would reccomend the autoglym HD wax. You'll find that you can buy either liquid or 'hard' wax, I personally would advise you not to bother with the liquid, it is easier to apply and remove but it doesn't look as good, last as long or offer as much protection to your paint work.

For tips and further understanding have a read of this excellent guide:
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/car-care-advice.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy Shining :cool:

skint said:
I work as a valet/detailer
Where do you work, Skinty? Apparently you're only up the road from me (well, in the same county at least) - you any good with a machine? I've got some scratches and swirls that need rotary polish love at some point when my OCD won't put up with hiding them any more.

skint said:
For tips and further understanding have a read of this excellent guide:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=200322#p200322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fixed that for you. :-D

The DAS-6 or Dodo Juice Buff Daddy (same thing essentially) get a lot of praise too, and much more sensibly priced, though you will still have to buy compound or whatever.

Ain't got that sort of money atm, nor will I have by fitp :-( as it will all be going on the xr2 so it will work. Would this be any good: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370468305684#ht_2117wt_1199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?

Purely personal opinion, but I reckon you'd be better off spending that £40 on a good paint cleanser/polish and wax and doing your xr2 by hand; I shouldn't imagine a £40 machine is going to be any better than your elbows for correcting / hiding scratches and swirls.

What products have you got already in the way of shampoo, buckets, wash mitts/sponges, polish, wax etc?

If I had around £40 to spend on getting my car looking tippy top, £30 would be going on this little lot. With a tenner spare to get a good shampoo, wash mitt or small clay bar depending on what you're missing in your detailing kit.

A couple of coats of that Car-Lack stuff and your scratches and swirls will be nicely hidden (not removed, though - no abrasives in Nano Systematic Care), then you can lock it all in with a couple of coats of the Collinite to keep it looking minty.

About the best I've got for shampoo's and the like is some macro special shampoo and wax in one, a sponge mitt and some polish from about 1988, somewhere :oops: I might still have some diamond brite stuff from the mk2 Ka I've got. It's probably better if I get a professional in to do it lol though I will order and have a go with the stuff you advised and see how it goes, I might have a couple of microfibre clothes some where aswell

Make sure your microfibres are clean - any grit trapped in the fibres will induce more scratches - you can sling them in the washing machine at up to 60 degrees C but don't put any fabric softener in as this buggers them.

That kit comes with two new ones anyway, and the appropriate applicators for the two products.

I would say the thing you need the most is a decent shampoo when considering what to spend the change from your £40 on - Dodo Juice Born to be Mild is the one they all rave about - and is on budget when bought with the Car-Lack / Collinite bundle.

Clay bars and fancy wash mitts are nice-to-haves; you can get those another time - with the Dodo Juice shampoo, Car-Lack 68 paint cleanser, Collinite wax and the appropriate applicators and cloths - you're all set for £40. :thumbs:

Doh! Comes in two sizes - apparently they only have the larger size in stock so only let you select the pricier one. What a bugger. Sorry about that dude!

Still, I'm absolutely certain you'll be better off with that little lot than a £40 spinny thing off eBay. :eek:k:

Can't wait to see the photos! :D

Latest posts

Back