Changing the indicator stalk etc unit

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbauk2002

Hi

Got a problem with indicator stalk, right turn pops down fine, left turn stays on until i remember to turn it off, and got 3 x flashes repeated on the airbag light all the time, im hoping replacing the indicator/light/wiper stalk unit will sort it all out

ive bought another one off ebay for a fiver, but wanted to know if anyone has changed one of these and could give me a few tips on how to change it? im thinking i gotta take the steering wheel off

cheers
craig

No need to remove the steering wheel.

Just undo the screws on the cowling/cover that is fitted around the column. This can be a little bit fiddly but not difficult - partially depending on your size, flexibility and dexterity.

Then remove the cover.

It is a while since I did this job on mine... but I believe there are a couple of screws and a clip [the clip/slot being on the right side as you look at the steering column/dash]. That's all that holds the stalk unit in place (apart from any wiring connector).

Out with the old, in with the new.

NB:- make sure you have a new stalk from the same variant as your own... the change was around T & V reg. The older cars don't have programmable intermittent wipe, the newer ones did. The stalk units are not interchangable.

Phew sounds easier than i thought, cheers mate

The one i bought on ebay says 1999 same as my car, does the newer one look different or is it identical?

wbauk2002 said:

Yeah, it is not a huge job just a bit of a fiddle.

The main thing is that the replacement unit came from a car with (or without) the intermittent programmable wipe - depending on whether yours has this, or not.

I didn't realise this when I changed mine - year or so ago - and it kept blowing the fuse because the differing units cant be switched.

wbauk2002 said:

The one i bought on ebay says 1999 same as my car, does the newer one look different or is it identical?

This thread, my original one when I had to do the job, may help....

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3546&hilit=indicator+stalk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I gave wrong reg for the change in my initial post/reply (now corrected)... the addition of the programmable wipe came in 1999 - so you have 50/50 chance of the correct stalk!

:pinkeye:

Just looked at that thread, i hope i havent bought the wrong one, the pic shows on the bottom of that capacitor/relay, a code

and the one i bought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300512708958&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

has 503 at the end same as the x reg one on the thread

oh dear ive already paid too

wbauk2002 said:
Just looked at that thread, i hope i havent bought the wrong one, the pic shows on the bottom of that capacitor/relay, a code

and the one i bought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300512708958&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

has 503 at the end same as the x reg one on the thread

oh dear ive already paid too

If worst comes to it, trial and error shouldn't 'fry' anything.

When I had the wrong stalk unit in error it worked up to a point, though kept blowing the wiper fuse. So, provided you have a couple of fuses on hand it should be ok (even if you did have to buy a different stalk again).
In my case I was ok with the wrong stalk in for day or so while I sourced a proper replacement - provided it didn't rain!

Another point - I have seen some people recommend disconnecting the battery when poking around inside steering column & it's wiring, to avert risk of setting the air-bag off in your face. I didn't and it was fine, but that was before I had read such advice. ;)

lol cheers mate, ill have a crack in the week

replacing my axle bushes over next few days so ill probs end up pushing car in canal anyway lol

remember to disconnect the battery before doing it because if you dont, the horn will sound randomly whilst you are pushing the stalk unit into place due to the connection being "connected" when you adjust the stalk into place ;)

Back