Coil-overs or Fixed shocks

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robo_monkey13

I'm thinking of getting my puma some Avo coil-overs but not sure if the ride wud be better with some fixed shocks instead. also wondering if i drop it 30mm on front and 40 on back will my tyres rub the arches :shock: little help plz :p

Can't help much, but I would never drop the rear of a car more than the front.

I just think nose down looks eager and aggressive, tail down looks like you have a sack of concrete in the boot on your way to the tip.

Depends how deep your pockets are. There are advantages to both. Will you want to adjust your suspension for different conditions? Or would you prefer fit and forget?
Bok has coilovers so hopefully he'll be along to say.

Tyres shouldn't rub if you keep std ones. If you've aftermarket alloys, just make sure the ET (offset) is correct (34-38.)

Look here for comparisons of wheel / heights:
(As I know you will already have seen)

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=10641" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Found this:

15low15std17low17lowabit16low.jpg

By way of comparison and from left to right:

Black : Std 15" propellers, lowered about 35mm
Black : 15" alloys, not lowered
Silver: 17" alloys, lowered about 40mm
Cuirass : 17" alloys, lowered about 20-30mm
Yellow : 15" alloys, lowered about 35mm (coilovers so adjustable)

i will probably go for the coil-overs for the advantage of changing the height especially all these speed bumps.
is it normal for the puma to have such a bumpy ride coz i feel every bump on the road?

robo_monkey13 said:
...is it normal for the puma to have such a bumpy ride coz i feel every bump on the road?

Try an FRP. It makes the standard 1.7 feel like a limo.

Try my car - makes an FRP seem like a limo.

:p

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=64" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Racing Puma - Year 2000, 500 made including press cars
Imperial Blue, Sparco sports seats, Interior trimmed in blue alcantara fabric (front seats, rear seats, door cards front and side cards rear, and steering wheel) Rear seats have Puma logo, front seats have Sparco and Ford Racing logos, Passenger airbag, Air conditioning, Stereo Radio/CD Model 6000 RDS EON, rear quarter panels from Platinum ICE but no extra speakers.
Revised camshafts, inlet manifold (numbered) and tuned exhaust system with an underfloor catalyst, 1.7i uprated to 152Bhp, Front track width extended by 35mm each side and rear track by 45mm each side, Revised gearbox (some hardened gears), longer driveshafts, Tuned suspension with revised springs and dampers, Alcon 4-pot caliper brakes with 295mm ventilated disks on the front, and 270mm disks on the rear, 17 x 7.5 inch alloy wheels with 215/40/17 tyres, Extended front (aluminium wings) and rear (steel) arches, Revised front valance and grille with splitter and modified rear apron
Optional LSD

sounds like a mighty piece of kit
hope to make my puma even mightier in time. be even easier if i cud pay for parts with lint and the moths in my wallet

yeah the cars well worth the effort tho
i'm just gonna go slow and get the things i want and i won't be making it a chav mobile thats for sure sensible but it'll have the power to shift on command

Dal said:
Try my car - makes an FRP seem like a limo.
:p

We should compare rides :p Maybe get someone with hemorrhoids to come along for a second opinion?

I strongly suggest you try out a Puma on coilovers before committing to buying (£500+fitting for Weitecs).
I'm shortly going to put up a video on YouTube (which also shows my headlights and how they are not crap), you'll get an idea of the ride as there are speed cushions along my test route.

The FRP ride...pah...at one stage I was thinking of getting stiffer dampers for mine.

I have no idea how much mine is lowered (I just kept winding it down until I was happy) but the back has definitely been lowered more than the front but the car still has the nose down attitude (see sig pic). Lowering it as much does mean the front splitter is lower than kerbs so I have got to be VERY careful. The handling and roadholding however is most pleasing :cool:

Im my opinion the rear needs lowing more than the front. They way the back doesn't step out quite so much through spirited cornering.

That's the problem with 205/40 tyres on 17's : they have a smaller height of tyre than the 215/40 on FRPs and so are less forgiving over bumps. I do like the 'kart' handling I've got on mine though. Passengers moan that it's too hard sometimes and I'm on constant pot hole radar alert, but I like it.

:)

i would have thought lowering the back end would make it more susceptible to the back end stepping out if anything, what with so little weight over the back axle (especially as I've removed the boot carpet), the reduced suspension travel with lowering and the increased spring rates of my coilovers.

I've still got throttle adjustability in corners by lifting off and because I'm still on 195/15 tyres when they let go it's not so digital as with an FRP (or a lesser extent 205 tyres).

I'm guessing the only reason a standard Puma rides so high may be for ground clearence and to make an allowance for carrying up to 4 passenegers, I'd imagine mine may be on it's rear bump stops if I tried that :cry:

a mate of mine has just fitted Avo coil overs to his fez, they have really made a difference to his car. Will know more in the next month or so on a track day how much difference 8)

We fitted them also and wasnt too hard, hardest bit was getting the old ones off, lol.

Coil-overs all the way..

you cant be a good-set of coilovers. the car handles like they on rails, no bodyroll, and if you get fully adjustables you can soften them up for road use..highly recommended

chris.

Fully adjustable coilovers will cost an arm and a leg though. I've got Weitec coilovers on my car and they're fine so long as you don't have to do any distance on cobbles

Back