Dash mileage not lighting up :-(

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davey80y

hey,

got a annoying prob the mileage lcd display isn't lighting up anymore everything else is working fine (touch wood) is it just a matter of replacing a bulb? and is there a guide to getting to the back of the instruments anywhere??

cheers all

Afraid you can't change the bulb, you'll need a replacement cluster. If you go on eBay there are loads so just buy one with as close mileage to yours as possible as the mileage is stored in the cluster, not the ECU.

yea its all perfect other than it doesn't light up with the rest of the dash

davey80y said:
dam will prob just live with it :p
Put a £1 keyring torch on your door keys, not cars keys. Sorted. :)

If it's the actual black figures of the actual mileage LCD that have vanished (you get this happening on the clock) then that's a tiresome and fairly costly fix. Write a mileage with a very fine permanent marker pen (Eddings are good) and forget about it.

The actual mileage can be grabbed from the ECU with a code reader, which hopefully would be good enough for the MOT tester.

no its just the lighting up part :p was wondering if it was just a bulb or if it was integrated in to the display is there a guide to swapping them anywhere failing that what bulb is it?

Frank said:
davey80y said:
dam will prob just live with it :p

The actual mileage can be grabbed from the ECU with a code reader, which hopefully would be good enough for the MOT tester.

Sadly not, the mileage is stored in a chip in the cluster in 99on Puma's. Exactly the same happened to my cluster excepted it would flash on and off. New cluster fixed it but defaulted to mileage on th cluster. Next time the air bag light wouldn't light, so another secondhand cluster and again the mileage was that of the cluster not the car. When it went in for service I even asked Ford to read the ECU but they also said its in the cluster not ECU. New clusters are £15 or so and easy swap

The light source behind the digital readout IS replaceable/changeable as I've done it before when I changed the dash lighting colours.

CherryVimto said:
The light source behind the digital readout IS replaceable/changeable as I've done it before when I changed the dash lighting colours.

I stand by the mileage part, but awesome if too you can change the bulb, I couldn't figure it out, it all looked sealed. Cheers!

XAF said:
Frank said:

Sadly not, the mileage is stored in a chip in the cluster in 99on Puma's...
Yep, I figured it might be.

However, in this case, it's the bulb that's gone, not the LED display. :)

So, here, I really would go for the keyring torch approach. Mind you, I really hate hauling dashboards out and fiddling about in there, so I'm a bit biased.

Sorry for taking so long....

There is a small grey bulb holder in the back of the dial unit:

I cant tell you what bulb it is though as I removed mine to fit a white LED instead. It is the same shape/style as a 501 but a LOT smaller!

whey ty :)

although it fixed it self was driving along and it just started working again :p

IIRC, it's a 286/T5 Wedge Bulb, Also available in coloured Led's:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-Lucas-Capless-Panel-Bulbs-LLB286-12v-1-2W-/291062548931?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/286-T5-LED-Dashboard-Bulbs-286LED.html?gclid=CPTrp5G3uskCFUi3GwodzogFIA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back