Dodgy on a cold start.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucky

Hi All, I have a 1.7 and it runs great except for on a cold or wet day seems to need extra cranking of the engine.
Any ideas?
Do i need new plugs, filters or just a whole lotta patience lol :grin:

Also got booked in today to have a Milltek cat back exhaust fitted, should look and sound cool when all finished.

How old is it? Are you still using the original ford battery? For what they cost i dont think you can beat the securitry that comes from having a good quality heavy duty battery. If your using the original ford one and its more than 5 years old i would defo swap it.

Hi DradusContact, It's a 2000 on a W, Has a new battery 9 month old, good quality heavy duty fella. Still has plenty of grunt but dont want to kill it off prematurely.

Always on a very cold or wet day and also happens on short runs ( have to play carpark chess to get in and out! )

Common problem, mine does it rarely. Make sure clutch is in when you start it, has solved it for me. Also mentions it in the car handbook.

Might be your coilpack or leads I reckon.

Mine does this but very very rarely since I serviced it last time.

All I do is touch the accelerator slightly to give it a bit of a helping hand, always gets it started.

fuel filter change can make a difference....sometimes its the small things which make a big difference :)

Going to get stuck in with a quick service tomorrow and will see where that gets me. Old filters OUT and in with the New !!

I'm with Dal- weather has been cold and damp so likely to be ignition related, if the HT leads have never been replaced it's probably those.

If there is a hint of cranking any slower than normal , check for a poor ,loose, corroded battery terminal ( MAY be warmer / or VERY HOT ) .

Newer batteries do seem easier to kill ! ':oops:'

If cranks OK , Water in High Voltage leads / coil pack , like Dal and BOK said

Back