Engine overheating but fan not coming on?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickaroll

I've had a second occurrence of my Puma overheating sitting idle in traffic on warm days, thought I'd do a wee write-up of my 'fix/diagnosis'.

From reading bits and pieces here, I found that the temperature sensor is temperature-controlled resistor, essentially a heat-activated valve.
This is it here, right side of the engine, under the coil pack:

9383451539_f9ac5beeef_b.jpg

With the ignition at position 2 (not turned over) I tested the voltage coming from the fan power connector, ~14V, which is about right.

This is the sensor with the plug removed, I've put some little connectors on it to make it easier to keep my multimeter in contact with the sensor terminals

9383466175_3819716bbf_b.jpg

And with the multimeter plugged in
9386243604_75106e2d90_b.jpg

Removing the plug with a 19mm ratcheting spanner (hard to get at!), and sticking it in some cold water (12 deg.) it reads a resistance about 35K ohms.

Video of it going from cold to hot.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43278150@N00/9386226360/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back in the car, after running the engine hot (4 minutes @ 3000rpm), reading low resistance (<5k ohms).
9383463577_f7e5e60353_b.jpg

In my case the sensor is working as it should, I just oscillated from hot to cold and back again 5 times, which combined with unplugging, cleaning contacts and plugging it all back together did the trick.

One thing first, good job on testing the sensor :) but just so you know, the temp sensos goes both to the dashm and the an, so if it's working on the dash its ok :)

Best bet, fan relay, or sticking thermostat. Posebly a failing wattepump, but it would be more consistant if the pump is failing :) Ofcourse the fan itselfe may be failing, but check theother bits first. Fan relay should be in the fusebox in the engien bay, not shure bout wich, but think it's green?

Cartman said:
the temp sensos goes both to the dashm and the an, so if it's working on the dash its ok :)
I believe there are TWO temp sensors... one for ECU (rad fan etc.) the other for the dash!

TempSensordiagram-1.jpg

My Puma had a rad fan problem - it would not turn on when coolant was too hot.
As it had a second sensor for the dash, this is how I knew when it was starting to overheat!

Are you shure? I swear I read somwhere it only has the one sensor. That may be the digidash thoug, and the anadash has 2. Not 100% on that.

Back