Eratic Starting

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

200sxman

Hi, I get the following symptoms sometimes from cold starting. The engine turns over on the starter motor but does not fire, at the same time all the dials go round to maximum deflection and stay there until I stop turning the key. Turn the key off and start again and the car will start. Sometimes have to do this 3 or 4 times to get it to fire. Once it has started it starts again without a problem and runs perfectly.
This problem seems to manifest itself after being left overnight. The battery is sound,and I can hear the fuel pump working and I always allow it to run until it is quiet before I try to start the car to ensure the fuel is where it needs to be. It has had new plugs recently and as I said earlier once started it runs extremely well.
I am at a loss at where to look to solve the problem and would appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks.

PS When the dials go to full deflection,it automatically zero's the trip meter but the clock and radio do not need resetting.

I know you say the battery is ok, but you've just described the classics symptoms of a knackered battery. So either your battery isn't as good as you think, or the alternator isn't charging it.

Hi, the battery was my first thought as well but it will quite happy turn the engine over for a long period of time without flinching, but I will check it out. Thanks for the quick response.

I've just checked the battery with a meter and it has 12.2 volts without the engine running,and 14.3 volts on tickover. I have also checked the electrolyte and it is over the top of the plates on all the cells. From what I can tell the battery seems healthy and the alternator appears to be working!!!!! I will check the battery again first thing in the morning.

I fitted a new battery and all seems ok so far, many thanks for the advice much appreciated.

Back