Exhaust Issues

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beko1987

Well, things have come to a head tonight with the Puma, driving home from work the slight blowy sound from the exhaust stepped up a notch. It is now a small roar on acceleration.

I've laid under it with the engine on, blipping the throttle occasionally with my hand and there's a massive vibration coming from the cat (or above, can't work it out), travelling down the exhaust, which explains the sound.

Does anyone know how much a new exhaust system goes for? The whole lot is the 115k original item (with a flexi-pipe replaced over a year ago). I was thinking of going to halfords/kwik-fit for something cheap. Only looking to spend £200 tops, the car's not worth much more! Then I can run it around for another year (MOT pass pending)

Getting fed up of the engine light as well, I know it's a sensor gone somewhere, it needed chemicals to pass the MOT the last 2 years, I must get that read too (thinking Lambda, which means the one I replaced was not broken! May swap them if so)

Anyway, any exhaust help would be appreciated. May put a post in the wanted section too...

Sam

Easiest way to test for leaks is to take off your shoe and hold it against the tailpipe for a few seconds. Have a 2nd person lie under the car and listen for leaks.

The cheapest parts that I know of come from Germany:
https://www.atp-autoteile.eu/FORD/PUMA_EC__01031997_-_01062002/17_16V_92KW_/_125_PS_7813.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I ordered some stuff from them many times. Excellent, trustworthy shop! They sell some really cheap chinese crap, but if you pay a bit of attention to what they have they might just have some pretty decent stuff too :)

Fleabay is looking promising, but I don't want to buy bits I don't need
I'll try the shoe trick and see what comes up, I'm just reluctant to spend too much on it when it's rusty beyond repair, although it may sort the poor economy out.

Will beat it to work tomorrow and get it checkedout by the local garage. Money money money...

i doubt its coming from the cat lol as thats right up behind the engine, wherebouts down the system was it

It sounds like it's coming from up by the engine. I got my hand up as far as I could laying on the floor by the drivers wheel.

I'll try and get a video tomorrow, see if it helps matters. The vibration runs right down and out of the system

If it is the cat, do they bolt on fairly easily? Seen them for 100 quid on eBay. Also, did I read on here somewhere that I only need one lambda sensor? Or should I play it safe if I need one and buy it?

Latest posts

Back