Exhaust system

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fury556

Hi all,

One thing im looking at doing is getting myself some kind of sports exhaust system. Probably going for a Piper mild/stainless system. First off is there any disadvantage to the mild steel over the stainless?

My next question is the exhaust manifold - if i were to change this what happens to my cat? Obviously i need one to pass an MOT!

Presently we are looking at: £240 mild system £340 stainless.

What would the best manifold be to go for? Not sure what my options are!

Have a read of this post:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=4844" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A mild steel system will rust, a stainless one will not so should outlast the car.

If you get a 421 manifold, you'll need a sports cat to replace the Ford one integral to the standard exhaust manifold.

Ahaa, fair enough. thanks for the info.

presumably this would fit?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MILLTEK-421-FOCUS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 286.c0.m14

I noticed there was a sports cat on pumaspeed i think it was. £300 odd quid! any more wallet friendly options? :)

:roll: I've just let a FRP sports cat go in the bin at my local exhaust place.

Didn't realise they were in high demand... it's 20 miles away... worth ringing them and getting them to take it off and keeping it aside for me to collect?

Ah! If you can mate then that would be awesome! not sure when i will get the rest of the system but it doesn't hurt to have things ready :)

you changed your exhaust red, a genuine cat is worth about £20 scrap working or not, unless the inside is broken up

Let's hope I can get it back, it was definitely working but the centre I had as a replacement already had a cat attached.

thanks mate :) will help us out :D as for the sensors in the manifold, i have a 1999 T reg, it should have just one plug is that right? If so it needs to be extended? or is that for 2 plugs?

Is that all a working cat is worth, £20? Was gonna take my standard one down the yard but for £20 harldy seems worth it!

Quick question, would the Piper stainless manifold for the Fiesta 1.6 fit the Puma? When i say fit i mean little to no modding to make it fit proper? It seems they never made one officially. Seeing as it is more or less the same engine i could only speculate!

I've just come back from a local tyre place having had to have two new tyres on the front of my car.

The guy at the garage seems to think my exhaust is the original (my car is 9 years old) <_<

They said to replace it would be £160 :s

Carolynn said:
I've just come back from a local tyre place having had to have two new tyres on the front of my car.

The guy at the garage seems to think my exhaust is the original (my car is 9 years old) <_<

They said to replace it would be £160 :s

Ford want around £100 for the original back box!! The problem with the ford box is its not stainless its just a steel box with a chrome tip.

Id check wether for that price is for a stainless one, if not id make sure it was and if it cost slightly more go for that option IMO

@Carolynn:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=61962#61962" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want to keep yours original that is. If you can afford it (initial outlay and Insurance adjustments) then get a stainless steel cat back. £300ish and you'll never need to buy another exhaust.

Cool, might go for a stainless one when the time comes :thumbs:

I've put stainless exhausts on all my other cars :whistle: :cheer:

@red: any luck with the cat?

If not i'm struggling to find any for much less than £300! Are there any other options i.e. fiesta parts or is the Puma exhaust a bit different?

I've got it in my garage now. Had a look and the internal honeycomb centre all looks good.

They had to get cut it off the centre but left a good amount of pipe so it can be fitted to something else.

I'll post up a pic as soon as i can.

Back