Flaking paint

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie12

Hi millie12 what is the best way to remove flaking clear coat from the bonnet
Paint work is ok but 20 % of the bonnet is flaking need your help puma is millennium edition
Would like to do my self thank you for your expertise

My approach would be peel of all the loose stuff by hand first, then you will have to rub the entire bonnet down carefully with wet&dry to remove the rest, take it easy though as you do not want to remove too much paint, it will just make your job harder.
Good thing is you can remove the bonnet and do it away from the car, if the actual paint is all good, you might get away with just the rub down and then redo the clearcoat

Hi thanks do you have to apply a clear coat as it looks
Faded and the paint work that’s under the clear coat that has flaked of is a much better colour is the colour zinc yellow and is all the millenniums the same colour yellow
Regards milie12

I didn't think the Millennium had a clear coat? I thought it was a flat Zinc yellow?

Yes all the Millenniums would have been the same colour

Just checked back through some older threads, the Zinc Yellow did not have a clear coat from the factory.

That is a very good point red, never actually occurred to me and I have done body work on my own millie so I should have known that :oops: :oops:

Hi all its rained today so I went outside to remove the flaking top coat I just rubbed the top coat while wet and most of the covering flakes off the paint under is in good condition will try to up load some pictures could the clear coat on my puma be an extra asked for by the first owner any way it's looks much better now with just some elbow grease to remove it :)

I doubt it, I expect it's had some work done post build but of course it's entirely speculation.

The Zinc would fade badly so maybe someone's tried to restore it to it's former self not knowing or worrying how it was done originally.

Does it look as though the rest of the car has also been clearcoated?
There is also a small possibility that it is not clearcoat, many years ago you could buy a clear plastic based paint that went over a faded gloss coat to restore the colour, The Post Office did a lot of their vans and trucks to keep the red "red" longer. The product although good never really caught on....just a thought

Hi thanks for the update on flaking top coat yes it looks like the complete car is coated as there is flaking on the rear side panel near the rear wheel arch and on the bonnet IMG_0480.JPG hope to repair damage and recoat
Car sorn so hope to get her on the road soon

Latest posts

Back