FRP Remapping

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter

OK, I've already had a chat with Darren about this. I'm going up to Pumaspeed on Friday and am considering getting the FRP map put on my car provided I can haggle a decent price. Can anyone else offer comments, Darren seems pretty positive about it...

I've driven Giggles a few times before and after the remapping, as well as comparing him to my own.

You can tell the difference, that's for definite. There's more pull in first, you don't change to 2nd quite as soon from a standing start. The performance in general does feel a bit quicker and surer too.

If you can get Tony to match the price Darren paid at the least, it's worth it for the improvement in the feel of the drive and performance.

The biggest difference you will notice with the FRP map in a standard 1.7 puma is the removal of the torque limiter in 1st gear and the higher rev limit. Bear in mind the FRP had other engine / gearbox modifications to ensure these were dealt with properly and reliably.

You might well find other adverse side effects due to the fact that the FRP ECU map is expecting to deal with the characteristics of the FRP specific inlet manifold, FRP specific camshafts and FRP specific 4-2-1 exhaust system with sports cat.

And that whilst they're doing the re-map, the ECU can be adjusted to take advantage of super unleaded. I get more MPG now than pre-FRP mapping and a tiny bit more power.

The FRP gearbox has some shot peened gears for sure, but then mine was only overhauled last year with some new cogs.
(After the previous owner shagged the last lot by crunching the gearbox constantly into reverse and shaving that cog it all over the inside of the gearbox)

I haven't felt / noticed any adverse side effects though.

Well, I got the remap. For all of about two seconds. Process completed, car started then didn't start again. Apparantly some water has found it's way to the ECU and buggered it. So I've got one of Tony's spare ECUs in my car at the moment, and am on the lookout for a new one.

Ignore my post in the other thread, I tend to work backwards from the oldest new post! :oops:

So you went in with a working car, and whilst there your ECU was broken. Isn't it up to PS to get you a new one?

I'm not best pleased really. I'll be on the phone to Tony tomorrow for a full and frank exchange of views. I'm finding it harder and harder to like Pumaspeed at the moment, after my first excellent experience with them things have gone downhill a long way sadly.

In some ways Peter, I know exactly what you mean

:(

ughh that doesn't sound good.. surely it should be replaced as it broke whilst in their care?

You'd think so. I'll opine that to Tony tomorrow. As it is, I've got a standard mapped ECU in my car at the moment which I suspect is the source of a running issue or two. I'll be getting Tony to send me the old one from my car, at the very least some of the parts will come in handy for an upcoming project.

PS surely must sort this, the ECU was fine when you went in, they upgraded it, started the engine then *BANG*!

Ok, I know there wasn't really a bang but it went kaput anyway.

Depends what they ment by 'chipped'
If they ment 'remap' then you can only check it by plugging the car into a Ford computer (or ones that Pumaspeed/build have) that will tell you which map you have.
If they ment a 'chip' then gawd knows! maybe one of those ebay "this will add 20bhp" adverts selling you a resistor?

Maybe one way might be testing the torque limiter in 1st? If it's removed then that means it's been remapped? Not quite sure how to test it though, put foot down and see how high the revs go?

Bit tricky to test the torque limiter. I just know that my FRP mapping reduced it alot, so I don't get 'bogged down' when trying a flying start.

If you suspect you have FRP remapping, an easy way to check is to put your speedo into diagnostic to get the rev counter on the digital display. Then see if you can get past 7000 revs. If you can, it's FRP mapped, if it stops at about 6750, it's std.

If you've got the analogue dash you'll see the needle go past the end of the gauge which is rather cool.

Analogue gauges are not as accurate as digital, so may be a bit dodgy to rely on them, but it is fun to watch it disappear round to the right

:D

(As he's got a millie, it'll be digital ;) )

i think my frp has a torque limiter, when i try to floor it from a standing start it doesnt go anywer, but then pulls in every gear apart from first.

ive been told that when the car was took to ford they could have put the standard 1.7 puma map on the car, not knowing it was an FRP.

What do you guys think? could it be this or something else :pinkeye:

mikeFRP said:
i think my frp has a torque limiter, when i try to floor it from a standing start it doesnt go anywer, but then pulls in every gear apart from first.

ive been told that when the car was took to ford they could have put the standard 1.7 puma map on the car, not knowing it was an FRP.

What do you guys think? could it be this or something else :pinkeye:

A Ford dealer that doesn't know what an FRP is? Don't go there again! Maybe a trip to Ford to get it checked out though? They should have the history of the car and know what was done. If it hasn't got it's correct mapping, then they should put it back on for you for nothing (or start talking about Ford customer service departments and 'watchdog' :lol: ) If they are still won't do it, then go to Pumaspeed in Wakefield, they'll do it for you. (Where I had mine done)

If you don't have FRP mapping , but std mapping, your engine would run like a bucket of bolts as there's different cams, inlet etc. Quick check : Can you drive the car and rev is past 7000rpm? If it cuts out at 6750, it's std, if it continues round to about 7250, it's FRP mapped.

The FRP as standard does have a torque limiter, but it allows more through than the std one. Mines FRP mapped and it is still there, albeit less than it used to be.

Back