FRP314 Under Shell Works

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tuesday 01/12/09

Finished of spraying the rear callipers, really happy with the results :)

During:

DSC02870.jpg

DSC02871.jpg

DSC02873.jpg

DSC02872.jpg

Afters:
DSC02875.jpg

David

Looking good! I cheated with mine and just painted the bits you can see. I should have done them before I fitted them, but didn't get around to it before a suitable opportunity to fit came around!

looking awesome, top work. PS i broke my abs sensor taking it off, doh!

mikeFRP said:
looking awesome, top work. PS i broke my abs sensor taking it off, doh!

O dear, well i think ive decided to take it off and replace it as i've found out that you can get them for about £65. So after the xmas new year i'll sort out a new one.

David

YOG said:
This was the last info I had:

Contact Ben Viner at HEL, he says he can make up anything, if you can supply a sample.

http://www.helcarkits.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tel: +44 (0) 1392 811601
Fax: +44 (0) 1392 811681
Email: [email protected]

HEL Performance Products
Lower Trelake Business Park
Tedburn Road
Whitestone
Exeter
Devon
EX4 2HF
United Kingdom

You can have different coloured sleeves, at no extra cost.

Thanks for the info, going to give mine a clean up and see how they come up.

David

I should point out that while I am happy to take credit for the rear ABS loom, it is Rick (YOG) who came up with the answer for the brake pipes.

I assume your local Ford dealer are pretty good with FRP bits, otherwise just be wary that they could be supplying standard Puma parts because that is what your reg. no. will tell them you have.

Wednesday 02/11/09

Took brake discs out of the bucket and surface rust has all been removed 
All other bolts and nuts etc looking pretty good as well however leaving them in for at least another 24 hours as some of them still a bit rusty. Thumbs up for the hammerite rust remover, I did think to myself how effective could it actually be putting already rusty nuts etc into a bucket of water, however true to its name its certainly done the trick. 

This is the discs after being taken out of the bucket and dried off.

DSC02875-1.jpg

Both masked up for spraying.

DSC02877.jpg

After photos

DSC02878.jpg

DSC02880.jpg

DSC02881.jpg

Another part stored in the kitchen ready to be put back on.

David

Wednesday 02/11/09

Ok saving the pennies all over the place, picture of the hand brake cable plastic brackets and brake line holders.

I've put the hand brake cable brackets in to the bucket to try and remove the rust stains, not sure if the replaement hand brake cable im getting will have replacement ones but we'll see.

DSC02883.jpg

Cleaned up the brake brackets with good old WD40 and a old toothbrush.

DSC02884.jpg

David

Thursday 03/12/2009

Little update, my order of Hammerite rust gel arrived today, cheap ebay purchase going to apply the two pots to the two worst effected areas tomorrow night hopefully should remove the majority of the rust and save me time with the wire brushes etc. Theres was some Jenolite going for a £2 so i thought i would give it a try on some of the less effected areas.

DSC02888.jpg

In the tub wrapped in cling film are the nuts and bolts with some of the liquid Hammerite rust remover out of the bucket. Friend popped over earlier as he's taking them to the place he gets his metal treated. Hopefully should be getting them back by next Wednesday. Left them in the fluid as theres one or two still a little rusty.

DSC02887.jpg

Kitchen beginning to get a little crowded.

Saturday 05/11/2009

Treated the rusted areas with the Hammerite rust gel last night and after inspected this morning it seems to have lifted some of the surface rust but nothing to major most areas will still require a good going over with the wire brush.

So far this morning spent a good hour with a tough brush giving the drivers side arch a really good scrub down ready for stone chip etc. No pictures as not much to show.

Started masking taping up some of the underside in preparation for the spraying of zinc primer, epoxy mastic 121 and imperial blue paint. As you can see haven’t finished yet came in to watch the football.

DSC02892.jpg

Before the masking I made a start on the drivers side sill, decided to buy some grey zinc primer to apply to areas that I do to stop rust coming back before I get chance to treat the whole underside with the epoxy mastic 121 product.

This area so far has taken me a few hours, not expecting the other areas to take as long as this is the worst section.

Before:

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

After:

DSC02891.jpg

DSC02890.jpg

Would note that I had removed the rest of the rusty orange patches before spraying

David

Sunday 06/12/2009 (phone photos )

Early hours of this morning decided to get the front of the car up on the ramps so that I could raise the rear axles to gain better access to the underside of the car. Took around an hour to get it to the required height as we had to raise each corner one axle height at a time and try to shift the front of the car more central in the garage so I could get the front wheel off when it was in the air, as you can imagine this wasn’t by any means easy however in the end we got it up and removed the front two wheels.

DSC02890-1.jpg

As you can see not a lot of remove either side but just enough to walk down.

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

DSC02887-1.jpg

Only had a few hours today but managed to clean up the front wheels and use some wheel sealant:

Used G101 multi purpose cleaner and then red cheery wheel cleaner with megs brush and brushes

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

DSC02920.jpg

DSC02922.jpg

DSC02919.jpg

DSC02921.jpg

Now stored in the garage with the other two.

IMG_1205.jpg

After being told that the mastic 121 product is best applied to bare stripped metal I will now remove the rust / paint and leave untreated until the epoxy mastic 121 arrives. (Thanks for pointing that out CosKev)

David

Gaaah you're lucky :p It's an effort to get my missus to help wash my car, let alone work on the exhaust!

There's a lot of inspiration in this project, I only wish I had more time on my hands as I exp[ect my lowly Puma could do with a similar kind of loving.

PS: thanks for the tips on removing the back seat!

Tuesday 08/12/2009

Busy ish day today, removed the rear brake pads from the Hammerite Rust remover bucket

Before:
DSC02891-1.jpg

After:
DSC02921-1.jpg

DSC02922-1.jpg

Loaded the freshly painted callipers and pads in to the ruck sack and walked down to friend’s garage. Used the correct calliper piston tool to push the piston back in.

DSC02924.jpg

DSC02925.jpg

Calliper back home situated on the disc, looking pretty good if I say so myself. You can see few more hours done on the exhaust, finally getting there however as you can see still some bits to finish off and the centre section to make a start on.

DSC02927.jpg

DSC02928.jpg

Decided to see if I could remove the ABS sensor on the rear beam without it breaking as a replacement one is £118 + vat. As mentioned before they usually brake when removing so a gently gently approach was used.

Sprayed plenty of WD40 on to the sensor and bolts. Bolts were on tight but managed to get them off after plenty of elbow, as for the sensor they were in tight, used a 8mm and 10mm socket and lined it up on the edges of the sensor and gently tapped away with a hammer. Sensor finally came loose 

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

Unfortunately there has been some minor dents on the tops of the sensors, only minor but after speaking to my mate (mechanic) he reckons there pretty sensitive so may not work, says once its back on the car I’ll be able to tell straight away as the warning light will show on the dash if its faulty.

DSC02930.jpg

DSC02931.jpg

DSC02932.jpg

Is there anyone else here that has any knowledge on this, does this look as though it might be to damage to be ok still, obviously hoping it’ll be ok as £118 is a lot of money for something that was original ok 

This evening I’ve cleaned up the rear ABS loop, suspension piston covers and rear bushes.

Before:
DSC02926.jpg

After:
DSC02933.jpg

DSC02936.jpg

Before:
DSC02929.jpg

After:
DSC02937.jpg

Keep them comments coming ;)

David

Good opportunity to get some standard bushes in the rear beam!

ABS sensors aren't £110, they are £65 (ECP!).

I suspect you may have knackered it, in any case, get a dremmel or similar and just clean up the inside of the hole.

When the car does it's self-test at 10-15mph, the light will come on if it's going to.

I suspect you may have knackered it as if nothing else you have probably moved the actual sensor bit (behind the alloy cover) just a bit further back, so it won't be close enough to the tone wheel.

Also, when you refit, check that the sensor isn't fouling on the tone wheel. If it is, you can put a thin spacer behind the bolt element of the sensor to just move it back a touch.

I've removed ABS sensors in precisely that manner before. They still work fine, and they are quite a bit more dented than those.

Latest posts

Back