how to change clutch/gearbox, rebuild gbox, uprated clutch

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im confused! fiesta mk3 xr2i 8v by the way....

uv taken the diffs out of their casings? iv never done that! y did you need to...?

iv no idea y ones taller than the other....

in its casing it should just swap for the std one... one out, one in....shouldnt need to strip the diff.....

I did it for cleaning purposes. The box the diff came out of had shattered 5th gear bearing and so swarf had travelled all over the internals of the gearbox. Stripped it all down and gave it a f*ckin good clean in the parts washer. Also, checked its working fine with drive shafts held in a vice.

Looking at it now, I think i may have worked it out. The shims on the standard box, on top of the spring washers are both under the bearing thats in the top hole of the box at the moment. There are none in the bottom hole. I am going to try and take one of the shims out and move it to the bottom hole which should space it out a bit better, hopefully making the necessary clearance to stop the diff fouling ont he box casing. Does that make sense?

I'll report back later with my findings!

top hole.....er, ok i might have got my holes the wrong way round! but there should be 2 of them....they should have the cone sides facing each other and they should be under one of the bearing races....sounds like its the top one. my memories going!

deeeeeer!

of course its the top one! im being blonde....if it was the bottom one the diff wouldnt sit right & the gears wouldnt mesh.....!

VERY interesting thread this one.

Ive just bought an lsd unit out of a Series 2 RS Turbo and was led to believe tha tthe housing needed trimming ever so slightly to get it to fit. Is this actually the case?

I havent got a clue on gearboxes at all but thanks to Jacko's posts at the top things are a "little" clearer.

Mike FRP have you sorted fitting yours now, and what exactly did you have to do in the end?

Cheers Daz

hello! you moved to the 'dark side'! its far better! make sure you tell them youve been using the info on here!!!! have a look around; theres loads of useful frp stuff you wont find anywhere else.....!!!!!

dunno about trimming the casing but after the above im assuming its the case.....the ib5 is a slightly different design to the bc gearbox the diff was in originally.... altho i think the rst box in s2 spec had an extra strengthening rib near the diff....which is prob carried over to the ib5....this could be the issue.

just to repeat; in my opinion buying an rst diff is as 'safe' as buying old alcons!!!! there usually very close to being thrashed to death! for the sake of the price of a 2nd rebuild id be spending it upfront on a quaife. it may seem cheaper at first but there getting old & knackered now....

as soon as your steering gets heavy ditch it or you'l be snapping drive shafts at £174 a go.....

(ive had a 'good' rst diff in my fezza.....it ripped one of my cv joints to shreds! twas knackered!)

How the hell do you get the starter motor off? Been on this since 9am this morning, no room to do anything inside that. :'(

I think it's easier if you take the alternator off?

nah....3 bolts....take a lot of undoing tho..... have to unbolt the wires too

hey guys, my clutch is on its way out, seen about the 1.8 focus clutch.. just a std part and fits straight on?, any help on it is awesome guys.
hoping to get a few things done before fast show in march so i will be doing it asap :lol:

Yep....220mm iirc as opposed to the standard 210mm iirc also....lol.

Got one on mine, straight replacement. Due to the increased diameter it may be worth checking the flywheel doen't have a ledge on the outer circumference and if so it should ideally be skimmed. Probably not the case but something worth noting.

as above...its beefier mainly because it also has a smaller internal diameter so the actual contact area is massive compared to the standard

will be doing a gearbox rebuild soon so shout out for any pics, info etc.
will also be converting to cable shift fingers crossed.....may do a seperate guide for that

Yeah thanks Jacko, is there any year I should go with all I know is 1.8 focus, do I get focus besting too?

yep, if they want to check they just need to make sure the splines on the clutch match the puma one...
i always go for a 2000 focus...

Ok ill get one then I can get the clutch and bearing from a mate for 110, ill post up how it goes :)

Im thinking of goin focus clutch route :) fordpartsuk are confusing as they state the clutch kit fits 1.6 and 1.8 and also have three choices of slave cylinder and bearing hub! wots goin on lol

dunno! i go to a local factor....at least they can help or take it back if its wrong!

Yh and if you use europarts chances are they will sell you the wrong stuff :roll:
Will stick to puma and get genuine ford clutch to save confusion!
Thanks for the guide aswell, will probs use for reference :eek:k:

Hello,

I have to replace my clutch on my puma 210mm of origin and I shall wish to replace it my clutch 220mm.

That it clutch have to I take set? A clutch of focus 1.8L?
Has you he modification on the driving steering wheel of puma there to adapt a clutch of diameter 220mm?
Or it's plug and play?

Thank you for your answers

Matt

Latest posts

Back