Jade

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Barry. Flush rad, filled up again and run for 20 mins again. I think my radiator is knackered. Got a patch of water on the front of rad and the water is red hot. rest of rad is cold. Water in expansion tank is red hot and level is rising too.

Any ideas..........?

sounds like could be rad blocked, is it possible to attach hose to top, and see if flow out bottom?

spike. said:
sounds like could be rad blocked, is it possible to attach hose to top, and see if flow out bottom?

Yeah tried that mate, coming through, not overly quick though.

Sounds like rad is blocked.The previous owner could have used one of those rad sealer or worse still head gasket sealers and blocked it up. Just keep trying to clear the rad. It must be a right pain working outside in this lot.
Barry

Quick pic of rad:

20140129_201120.jpg

Need to find one now. Don't suppose I will get one at this hour, lmao.

Would that cause the bother with the rad not getting hot and the expansion tank level rising?

Would a ford focus radiator fit. I am scrapping one at the weekend?

The water level rising could be the engine boiling or the head gasket. As I said before did you check the temp gauge? If you have the Focus at your house you're the best person to tell if it will fit. It doesn't help but there was a brand new Puma rad for sale on Ebay last week or the week before with no offers for £25. I bid on it at the last minute and someone beat me by about a quid!!!!
Barry

Temp gauge was sat in the middle Barry. Pretty much stayed there. Couldn't get no heat out of heaters either. What would cause the engine to boil? Just seen what looks like gold coloured gitter on radiator top connector?

Don't know about the heater as there are issues with the HCV but I suppose at least one of the hoses to the HCV should be getting warm. No idea what the glittery stuff is. The engine would eventually boil if it got hot enough and the radiator was blocked as it wouldn't be able to get rid of it's excessive heat.
Barry

Ok. The 2 pipes to the hcv are getting hot, but not from the hcv to the matrix. This is a brand new hcv. I can get a brand new radiator tomorrow for £35, but hesitant now about throwing more money at the problem without knowing for sure.

The radiator sounds a bargain but really can't help with the HCV as I've been dealing with other issues with my car. If I remember rightly someone on this posting said only buy original Ford. I should check back with him if I was you.
Barry

Ford only part for hcv,aftermarket fail within days,and also cause over heating issues,but rad is no good at all,dont use the focus rad,as it will be wrong due to size,connections and cooling fan.

So does the problems I am facing sound like they can be resolved with a new radiator and hcv or do it sound like it could be hg? I dont mind buying new rad and hcv if that could potentially solve the prob, but if there is a good chance that it is the hg, then the cost will be including what I have got already, more than I paid for the car.

Aaaaggggghhhhhhhh. I really thought after seeing the thermostat and housing that I had hit the nail on the head. Gutted.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Sounds like a plan. Ill try and pick em up tomorrow.

Cheers m8

Hi Simon. I wish I could answer those questions for you but as you know I thought it was probably the HG right from the start. If I was you I'd persevere with what you're doing in trying to clear out the rad (unless it's leaking) and you could always bypass the HCV to take that out of the equation.
Barry

Back