Lower engine/gearbox mount

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisB1983

Hi all,

I've recently joined the forum and picked up my first Puma at the weekend. I will take some pictures at the weekend and introduce myself properly in the newbie area.

It's got a rumble/vibration at idle speed which develops into a knocking when driving over bumps, etc. I've had a dig around and found that the lower gearbox mount (I think Ford call it a torque limiter) is the culprit as the bushes have given up.

I called Ford this morning to order one and they are now discontinued!! Oh dear.

Does anyone know of an alternative supplier or solution? The bushes can't be purchased separately and I don't fancy going down the route of poly-bushes.

Febi Bilstein list one (part No 15527) but this is only for the 1.4. Has anyone fitted one to a 1.7?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. Chris.

Hello Chris.
I have a perfectly good torque link you could have for a tenner + £5 p&p.
Though it`s unusual for them to go.
So before you buy anything I would check all your other bushes and driveshafts
to see whether the problem lies elsewhere..

trublustu said:
Hello Chris.
I have a perfectly good torque link you could have for a tenner + £5 p&p.
Though it`s unusual for them to go.
So before you buy anything I would check all your other bushes and driveshafts
to see whether the problem lies elsewhere..

Thanks for the offer. I will probably have the part off you so will IM you about it.

I will have a closer look at the weekend at other components as you have suggested, although i'm 99% certain it is this because i can twist it and move it as if the bushes are no longer connected.

Fair enough.
If it`s split, its goosed.

I have broken a couple of Pumas and fitted this one to my track car with the engine mounts from the same car as it was a very low mileage example.
I`ve since fitted a racing torque link. So this one is going spare.

So i got to the bottom of this rattle today. Turned out to be the CAT heat shield hitting the bulkhead as it had lost a few bolts. I've bodged it up for now but will prob get a full set of bolts from Ford and bolt it all down properly.

As for the torque link...i took it off for a look and the large bush is in a bad way. I'll leave it as is for now as it's doing its job but it could do with replacing.

Hi Chris
Do it as soon as you can or it'll take out the flexi joint on your exhaust front pipe.
Barry

The flexi joint is in a right state so that needs replacing too...another job added to the list. Thanks for the advice. I'll replace them both at the same time.

Latest posts

Back