Mondeo brake upgrade question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robyorks

Hi all. Just wondered if after upgrading the front disks and calipers to Mondeo kit should I be changing the servo too? I bought the car with the conversion done but the brakes are quite frankly crap :eek:

Thanks,
Rob.

No need to replace servo. Sounds like it's playing up or the brakes need new discs or pads. Might simply need a good bleed or some new fluid putting in as a lot of people neglect to change the fluid even after a decade or more of use :lol:

Depends if you have the earlier puma setup or later, if you have the later silver MC it gives a pretty rubbish pedal feel/travel when increasing brake disc size. I sourced a ST200 servo/mc and by the sounds of what others have said about fitting a mondy setup it should make things much better!

with early servo, new fluid, decent discs and pads, as long as tyres reasonable, you should be able to give passengers whiplash with very little effort. :lol:

Flushing fluid, with something like ATE superblue (10 from eurocarparts) or any new dot 4 fluid, should make a difference

On the subject of servo's, my ST200 never materialised which I'm gutted about, but would the racing puma servo be stronger than the standard 1.7? Anyone know for sure?

Hi Rob
According to the Haynes Fiesta manual the brakes should be completeley bled before the engines started up or air can be trapped in the ABS unit which can only be removed by main dealers with special equipment. Is the problem with the brakes long pedal travel or a spongy feel?
Barry

Hi Barry
Don't quite see the reasoning in that Haynes information. Are you sure it doesn't mean before the car is driven?
Surely just starting the engine has no influence on the ABS pump, it only operates on a self test, which potentially could get air trapped in the ABS unit if present in the system.
Rob, if the discs and pads are new, could it just be a case of them not being bedded in yet?
Paul

Hi Paul
You're probably right but to quote the Haynes manual under brake caliper removal, overhaul and refitting " Caution: On models equipped with ABS disconnect the battery before disconnecting any braking system hydraulic union and do not reconnect the battery until after the hydraulic system has been bled. Failure to do this could lead to air entering the ABS hydraulic unit requiring the unit to be bled using special Ford test equipment"
Further to this I've just noticed under section 21 that the "special Ford test equipment" can switch the ABS unit into a mode which purges it of air whereas it says air can't be bled out using conventional methods.
So it's not switching on it's leaving the battery connected, according to Haynes.
Barry

The pedal travel seems fine, they just don't seem as keen as they should be. I almost go through the window of the wife's Focus if I get straight out of mine and driver hers! Haven't had chance to bleed them through yet either so Ill have to get on with that and see what happens. Regular dot 4 ok or should I be buying something else??

Latest posts

Back