My frp and big plans

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PumaNoob said:
RyanG said:
Haha we have been over this, you've got more chance of pissing on the moon lol

Ha ha ha! Did you not notice, I'm trying to build my puma into a rocket ship so pissing on the moon might just happen!!

:funny:

just read a good chunk of this thread, the engine is awesome! its great to see someone really trying to find the limits of exploitation with the 1.7, im of the opinion its potentially a great engine, and looks like it is!

im loving the turbo v nasp rivalry here too! however i might put my oar in and try and compete for the supercharger corner if i ever happen to end up on track with you lot! :wink: got a better intercooler and plumbing setup waiting to go on shortly, and ill have my hands on the m62 in a few weeks. soooo, yeah, im quietly confident :)

regards smaller alternators, i built a mega lightweight mk2 fiesta with a zetec-e a few years ago. i ran a suzuki alto alternator on that. here it is next to a standard cvh alternator.

03112007357.jpg

03112007356.jpg

at some stage in the future ill be aiming to take a load more weight out of my puma and this will be on the list. i forget what it weighed now but ill try and find the old build thread and see if i mentioned it in there. they are very cheap second hand too. hope thats of some interest :grin:

Thanks mate, it really is a great little engine, it was a nightmare to get 230bhp let me tell you that lol but we definitely found its limits.
Theres always room for a supercharged puma to show us all the way round haha
So is the next size supercharger up the same as the mini's run? as i know they make upwards of 200bhp
Are you keeping it on standard rods and pistons?

Ive always wanted to do a high revving rotrex supercharged puma engine something like 350bhp at 8500 would be epic.

Thats a similar sized alternator to the one im using now, we managed to modify the original to fit our race car with the gsxr throttle bodies.

im currently running an m45 from a mercedes c200, which is the same size as the mini cooper unit but with a different casing. i dont know what power its running but its geared at just over 2:1 so is running around its max rpm at 6500rpm. i recently adjusted the cam timing as it was slightly off from the factory seetings and this has seen a drop in boost at the manifold and a leaner afr at the top end. it goes alot better at high rpm now. if i had to put a number on it id estimate power in the ballpark of 180bhp.

the m62 is quite a bit bigger. they fit these to the 2.3 mercedes over here but theyre geared quite low as far as im aware. this one ive got is from a buick 3.8 v6. my target is to see boost in the double figures and 200+bhp. ill be running it on totally standard internals. ive seen a few pumas running low boost turbo setups, some with decomp plates etc, but cant really find anything where anyone has pushed the engine to failure, so unsure what the limit is really. im rebuilding a spare engine i have in the next few weeks and plan to run the m62 on my current engine for a while to see if it breaks something. if it doesnt and all seems well, ill put the rebuilt engine in as standard. if the current engine lets go, ill drop compression and see how it fairs.

theres a chap called neil davis who used to write for fast ford, who runs a bog standard silvertop 2.0 zetec-e with an m62, albeit a vortec setup. he was saying that ran 290bhp on its highest boost setting, which was using a fairly rubbish chargecooler system at the time. so these blowers can definitely produce the goods, hopefully the bottom end can stand upto a decent amount of boost.

sorry for the high jack :lol:

also, my build thread has been deleted now as its been years since it was updated. however iv done some digging and found what looks like the same alternator with a quoted weight of 2.7kg which sounds about right.

cheers, i should get get it rolling roaded before i fit the m62 really, for a before and after comparison.

Well i picked my car up saturday and the work Edwards Motorsport have done is absolutely amazing. It looks like a machine has welded it together.

Now just waiting for a quite week at work where i can take over a ramp :lol:

IMAG1235_zpsulvgliof.jpg

IMAG1246_zpssbnuztcf.jpg

IMAG1245_zpsks6cdud2.jpg

IMAG1247_zpswzeffthb.jpg

IMAG1250_zpsf5srkcbf.jpg

IMAG1249_zpsvdunsraj.jpg

IMAG1252_zpsx7lfh8cp.jpg

IMAG1255_zpsxy32gtip.jpg

IMAG1239_zpsbkliqkgy.jpg

IMAG1254_zpsvlsuplza.jpg

IMAG1251_zpsdqqkabzw.jpg

IMAG1248_zpsdrznsk7c.jpg

Sorry the pictures are not the best there taken on my phone.

RyanG said:

Looks fantastic!

Being a dunce here - are the tabs with the spring between them performing the same function as a flexi joint?

Work of art that :)

Kungfugerbil said:
RyanG said:

Looks fantastic!

Being a dunce here - are the tabs with the spring between them performing the same function as a flexi joint?

Work of art that :)

Thanks a lot,

Yes they allow a small amount of movement in the system as well as holding the primaries in the collectors.

It sounds well, will sound better at 9500rpm lol

I absolutely love the tailpipe, its the same as the s1600 cars ran so i thought it would go well with the new engine, i definitely didn't want it looking like a standard frp haha im not that big of a fan of the oval tailpipes.

Thanks mate, yes they are epic

Just waiting on a ramp now really but with our race puma and the old mans btcc focus not to mention the amount of customers cossies in were struggling for a few weeks.

Yeah sounds like you guys have a lot on, but now you have one less thing to worry about! If that was my exhaust I'd have it tucked up next to me in bed!! :grin:

So finally ive had time to attack the FRP and get my engine in, with help from the older brother we had a good day at it. It still needs plumbing in and wiring up but thought we got on well

Old engine out

IMAG1390_zpsue4tog7u.jpg

Had my rocker cover powder coated crackle black which looks brilliant

IMAG1396_zpsrdwokmfm.jpg

IMAG1402_zps27eejl04.jpg

IMAG1407_zpsv6htdxbv.jpg

IMAG1408_zpsk3nawjt3.jpg

IMAG1410_zpsiplone3j.jpg

Another pic of the exhaust system which i still cant believe how good that is

IMAG1412_zpsvhcwrgh7.jpg

Cant wait to get it fired up and up the road

The springs on the exhaust sections look like the same principle as the Ducati superbikes.
Easy for dismantling and reassemby :)

Latest posts

Back