My frp and big plans

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha yes ill get some pics of these new pair of cams, the originals were monsters, these are rediculous lol all necessary to make the power, at the rpm's thats necessary to make the power im looking for from a 1.7 if that makes sense :)

The piston to valve and inlet to exhaust valves are extremely tight, especially with both valves being 3mm bigger

Been set back a little by the new inlet cam, it now once again catches the cylinder head on each lobe as the originals did.
So this will be sorted over the next couple of days and will then be on the dyno for fingers crossed the final time :)

Youve taken this engine to a whole new level, im surprised you can even open valves without them clashing. I like to think i can do a lot with engines, but the stuff you are doing, i wouldnt even dream of doing! Think this will be the most epic 1.7 were ever goin to see!

Appreciate it mate :)
Even i didnt think it was this extreme, and never thought it would out perform the best s1600 engines
Its been a long time but we should be there very soon :)

Unfortunately had to take the head off as there was too much machine work to be done while it was on. It cost me a new head gasket and a set of bolts but we got to have a good look in the engine which we were more then happy with :) especially considering the hard time its had on the dyno.

The head is now back on but theres just a few more bits to finish before it will be loaded back on the dyno tomorrow.
We have a latest spec 4 in to 1 exhaust manifold to try also with a reversible collector and resonator, im really looking forward to comparing results with the 4 2 1 we currently have.

All going well it should be fully mapped and be at the power were going for saturday then its ready to fit in the car as planned over christmas :)
I ordered the clutch today and ended up going with a six paddle plate with an uprated cover

A few pictures of the head.

IMAG1040_zps738db5eb.jpg

IMAG1041_zpsaae3b358.jpg

IMAG1042_zps36e21531.jpg

IMAG1043_zps78ac6666.jpg

Looks like you've taken loads from both the inlet and exhaust man, crazy cams. Must have taken forever to do all those. Nice work though, not long now until its up and running.

Yes its had a fair lump out
Like i say this should be the last time its on the dyno and should be very interesting development wise, im looking forward to it :) ill keep updating with how i get on

You best prepare yourself for the questions i may fire at you when its going in lol

All ready to be loaded on in the morning :)

Big cam

IMAG1044_zpsa77d111c.jpg

Going with the short trumpets to start

IMAG1045_zps9ffdf575.jpg

Different exhaust manifold to do back to back testing with

IMAG1049_zps4b77eaf3.jpg

Did you skim the head again when you had it off?

The 1700 head can get used again.

Cheers

Ally

Update time!
Engine is all done on the dyno. :top:
We played for so long with this engine! We have tried four cams, throttle body positioning, trumpet legnth, injector position, cam timing, exhaust manifolds etc :cry:
Its been hard work but im very happy with the results :top: i have had to keep in mind with this build that it is for a a road car, so needing to keep it driveable and reliable.
I do beleive if it was a race engine we could squeeze a little more at higer rpm but i wasnt prepared to sacrifise for this!

Final results
230.1 bhp @ 9000rpm
151.5 lbft @ 7000rpm

These are correct figures, uncorrect (on the day) we saw 234.2 bhp and 154.6 lbft :top:

Graphs

IMAG1092_zpsa288af84.jpg

IMAG1093_zps7bb09557.jpg

Uncorrected power

IMAG1094_zps058b52e2.jpg

Kizza said:
some nice power there :cool:

so in the end, how much has this rebuild cost you then pal? and will you be using the standard FRP gearbox?

Thanks mate, yes i will be using the standard frp box with a lsd for now maybe a short ratio quaife gear kit in the future. As for cost i wouldnt want to add it up lol of course ive got everything at cost so much less than a customer would pay lol

old nick said:
RyanG said:
eddy said:
Need a video :)

Didn't get any higher videos then the previous 8700rpm but will get plenty when in the car :)
good figures Ryan!! is it in the car yet?

Thankyou very much Nick :)
Theres still quite alot to sort before it can go in such as getting an altenator to fit with this inlet system. We modified the lsd today so the gearbox is nearly ready, then its just the usual things like fuel system, gauges etc

This should do the trick :)

IMAG1069_zps15ed4406.jpg

Latest posts

Back