My Puma 1.7, more than a year on (A works in progress)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
demonskull13 said:
tuonokid said:
Cheers CherryVimto that's very helpful of you and much appreciated :grin:
Barry
looking good it will be a beauty when finished. i also am having problems with the photos i have photobuket but cant find how to put photos on the project puma website :roll:
Select the photo, copy link (the bottom option, URL) and paste it in your post. That is it

Well done, Barry

Cheers Wild E
I sent Jason (Demonskull) a PM earlier telling him how to upload photos so he might be on later with some new photos. Nearly finished the rear ABS before I picked up my son on Friday afternoon so, hopefully by Monday it should be all up and running. If not it looks like I'll be buying a cheap scanner and borrowing a laptop. Just as a matter of interest did you have to lengthen the standard Puma loom to get it to plug into the rear sensor holes?
Barry

Nope, enough length in the existing loom. No problems, what so ever. After all, we are talking about 3 cms relocation and the cable is angled in the right direction already

Thanks for that. I couldn't remember where the existing holes were in the drums so I thought with you moving both sensors to the rear of the car they might have been a little short on cable length.
Barry

hi barry your puma looks mint i managed to get front passenger side sorted i put a new wishbone in then still wernt right so i got the front suspesssion off ebay for £14.99 bargain it was advertised as the driver side but i was pretty sure both sides are the same and fitted it to the puma today and it ran better than it did before i curbed it, next year i am doing all the wheel bearings then i am upgrading the brackes to a mondeo mk3 disc and then the rear to a focus (i think)then suspenssion. i am still trying to get photos off photobucket and send to project puma been trying to copy paste ect most of my photos have come from facebook would this make it harder? when i try to get them on here it keeps saying needs url adress whatever that means i not that good on computers im more into mechanics. could you tell me how to get the url adress across please. i know ive asked before but it confuses me thankyou again
jason
:lol: :roll:

Hi Jason
I'm useless with computers as well but if you look back to your previous post "help urgent help needed front wheel out of line" I answered your question on there and if you follow what I say you should be ok. As regards Facebook, I know nothing :grin:
Barry

hi barry i think i have sorted the photo issue out its under trying photos but seem to only be able to do one at a time could you have a look to see if my photos worked please thankyou :thumbs:
jason

Finally managed to get back in the garage today to finish off the rear pass side ABS sensors. The last time I'd done some work on it even though I'd managed to get the 0.6mm sensor gap with the hub off the car once assembled the gap was much larger. Something must be stopping the sensor going fully into its hole and the main suspect was the splash shield. So I took it to bits....again!

Splash shield up against axle bracket showing hole needing enlarging.

I'd already enlarged the hole through the shield but when I moved the shield on the bolts through the axle I could see that the shield could block the sensor so I marked it out for grinding off.

Ground off

This should work. No matter how I move the splash shield on the bolts it doesn't block the hole through the axle.
I built it all up and the sensor came through the stub axle no problem. Checked the gap and it was less than 0.6mm but greater than 0.5mm, I'll give it a try tomorrow. :grin:

Hi Wild E
I'd done the same at the other side and it wasn't a problem but just goes to show you to be patient and you'll get there in the end. :)
Barry

Still no luck with getting the ABS working again and with lots of helpful information coming in from Wild E Coyote and what I thought was a rise in temp today I decided to venture into the garage again.
At the tail end of last week one of my mates brought over this.

Bluetooth code reader

And this had arrived in the post (cheers Wild E for the advice) :)

ELM 327 OBD11 interface. My mate's got a laptop so I've asked him to download Forscan so we can, hopefully, check the WSS.

First of all I thought I'd check the resistance of the ABS sensors so even though the rear ones are new they tested out at 1017 and 1036 ohms which is ok, I think.
I then moved onto the front offside sensor and straight away, open circuit.

So it's a result and now to get the sodding thing out (wish I'd still got my oxy acet set)

Most of the sensor out now Just got to take off the sodding bolt without breaking it!

Ok, good, you have found the problem! You will have to destroy that sensor to get it out. Just be careful not to deform the tone ring while doing it. The best way is to try using big (really BIG) screwdriver through the openings in tone ring and hammering the sensor to destruction but watch out not to touch the ring. I don't think you can buy a new one anywhere on eBay...

Hi Sinisa
I haven't checked the N/S sensor yet and that may be broken. I would have had the O/S one out this afternoon if I still had my gas set but I only have propane and Oxy with a burning torch and I'd set fire to everything in the location of the sensor with that. I really don't want to break the bolt in the sensor so I'll probably cut it to bits around the bolt with the dremmel and then address the bolt. When that's out I'll replace it with a S/S stud and nut so I won't have that problem again. Do you know if any of those makes of front sensors advertised on Ebay are any good? They look a lot cheaper than the rears I bought :)
Barry

I wouldn't rule out the cheap ones Barry. I got a pair of Beckermann branded ones for the front of my lad's Puma. 18 quid each and they worked fine. At the very least they will get the job done, and if they fail after a year or two they will be easy to change.
Paul

Hi Paul
I was looking at the ones that were less than £10 on Fleabay but I'll try my nephew in law first. Let's hope he can beat the price for the rears. I'll bear in mind the brand Beckermann, though.
Barry

Hi Barry,

I replaced my failed front sensor also with a chepo one and it works no problem. The OE is made by ATE and think can be had for about 50 GBP on eBay.
But, as I said, the cheap ones are also working OK. The system recognised it right away, it passed the self test procedure and the light went out. The ABS is working 100% now so there really is no need to invest more money into it IMHO

tuonokid said:
Hi Sinisa
I really don't want to break the bolt in the sensor so I'll probably cut it to bits around the bolt with the dremmel and then address the bolt.
Barry

I used good quality socket, hit it with hammer few times to make sure it sits 100% and them undid it slowly. It resisted a bit, but gave up in the end. No problems what so ever. If you used a spanner there would probably be problem and you would round the bolt, but with good socket it will give up. It is M6 thread, not to big, the socket is 8 IIRC

Hi Sinisa
I used a 8mm hex socket but it gave up in the end so I'm currently trying to hammer on an imperial socket but it's proving a pain to get on. If you look at the last photo I put on you can see the knuckles are really rusty and flaky so it's pretty well rusted in. I probably broke the sensor when I went around the knuckle with a small chisel to knock all the big flakes off it...lesson learned :cry:
I will get it out, though :grin:
Barry

Don't beat yourself. The old sensors give up if you squeeze them as the copper inside colapses.
I'd treat it with a few cycles of heating and cooling to reak up the rust. First heat everything up with a heat gun and then use something like this to cool the bolt down… http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=cooling+spray&_from=R40&_osacat=61573&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l2632.R3.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.Xfreezing+spray&_nkw=freezing+spray&_sacat=180124" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That should make bolt shrink and break up the rust. I'd go for few cycles and then try again after heating it up; don't try with frozen bolt as it could snap easily

Back