My puma cossie - few bits and bobs. (Very picture heavy!)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the sound is just a little added bonus for me. i like the sound of my engine so i would want to hear it and with how loud my car is im sure i would hear it through the footage lol

youd need to do a lot of experimenting with microphones to get a good quality sound of engine etc. thing is the human ears are so much better than any microphone ever will be so it just wont be the same IMO.

Had a bit of a problem with my exhaust :cry: sounded like it started blowing a little, then it got suddenly louder while driving as my exhaust fell off the centre section:cry:

21102010097.jpg

22102010099.jpg

Oooops LOL!

you can see its totally rusted through! the rest of the system is stainless so quite why he used mild for the sleeved joint i dont know!!
23102010101.jpg

Andy started to grind off the old metal:
23102010106.jpg

until it was nice and clean:
23102010105.jpg

before fabricating a new tube and welding it on:
23102010110.jpg

finished article:
23102010113.jpg

All fitted and painted:
27102010130.jpg

Big thanks to Andy who did all the welding!

also done some painting on the underside and painted the last bits of the floor, ie the front chassis rails that havent been done since ive had the car:
23102010115.jpg

23102010114.jpg

Paint was all good anyway but you cant be too careful with fords!! So now this year ive painted the entire underside except wheel arches which were heavily protected. Might strip the front arches off in the spring to paint the inner wings.

Mind me asking where you got hold of the wiring diagrams for all of your wiring from please? Ive searched high and low for a good pinout of the ECU and interior loom but couldn't find anything.

Thanks, Phil.

Hi Warren, just wondered if you got anywhere with the wiring of the ST170 clocks? Just thought id ask, because i have been looking into wiring Mondeo mk3 clocks into my puma, and hit on quite a big problem, and thought you might come accross the same problem with the focus clocks. Although the information recieved by the dash is the same (might be different on mine for speedo signal), the problem is this:
Connecting the Puma clocks to just the 3 live wires (1 perm & 2 switched), and an earth, you just get 1 bulb staying on, the washer bottle bulb. The rest are lit by connecting an earth (the warning lights), or connecting a live (the indicators, lights ect).
Heres where the issue is with my Mondeo clocks! Once lives, and earth are connected, pretty much all the lights are lit, and they need to connect to an earth to turn the bulb off. So basically, i could wire the clocks in, but the warning lights would work in reverse, they would be lit when theyre supposed to be off, and off when theyre supposed to lit!

I just wondered if the focus clocks worked the same as the puma clocks, or the same as the mondeo clocks, as id assume the focus & mondeo clocks would be more alike. Sorry for the babble, but i remember you saying about the ST170 clocks, and im sick of the 80's lookng clocks in the puma!!

fiestaphilwxm said:
Mind me asking where you got hold of the wiring diagrams for all of your wiring from please? Ive searched high and low for a good pinout of the ECU and interior loom but couldn't find anything.
get a cd wiring diagram off ebay.

PumaNoob said:
Hi Warren, just wondered if you got anywhere with the wiring of the ST170 clocks? Just thought id ask, because i have been looking into wiring Mondeo mk3 clocks into my puma, and hit on quite a big problem, and thought you might come accross the same problem with the focus clocks. Although the information recieved by the dash is the same (might be different on mine for speedo signal), the problem is this:
Connecting the Puma clocks to just the 3 live wires (1 perm & 2 switched), and an earth, you just get 1 bulb staying on, the washer bottle bulb. The rest are lit by connecting an earth (the warning lights), or connecting a live (the indicators, lights ect).
Heres where the issue is with my Mondeo clocks! Once lives, and earth are connected, pretty much all the lights are lit, and they need to connect to an earth to turn the bulb off. So basically, i could wire the clocks in, but the warning lights would work in reverse, they would be lit when theyre supposed to be off, and off when theyre supposed to lit!

I just wondered if the focus clocks worked the same as the puma clocks, or the same as the mondeo clocks, as id assume the focus & mondeo clocks would be more alike. Sorry for the babble, but i remember you saying about the ST170 clocks, and im sick of the 80's lookng clocks in the puma!!
focus clocks are more like mondeo clocks.

the problem you will have with both clocks is that the rpm, temps, speedo etc are all fed from the ECU on a databus. on the puma this is not the case. the early focus and mondeo are still eecv like the puma but the databus on the puma is only activated through the diagnostic port. As such you cannot just hook up the databus wires on a puma to a focus dash as the datastream is not active normally.

on my car as my ecu does not control engine i just swap it for a focus one and reconnect enough sensors to fool it into start up mode and hence the dash will work. Its a bit harder on a normal puma. you may need to run the puma and focus ecu side by side with sensors piggy backed onto the focus ecu. bit of a pain in the arse!!

Well I did think this, but I'm going to be running a similar setup, a megasquirt running the fuel and spark, and the standard ecu to run the fuel pump, security ect. So if I get a focus mm 2 loom, I can have that run the security & dials, ect, then use the clocks.
As you say though, it's alot of hassle just to change the clocks.

Something I read which interested me though, was someone with a mk 1 focus put 2.0 clocks in a 1.6, & the lights stayed on, so I figured the 1.6 focus clocks (as we all know has the same engine as the mk5 fiesta), may possibly have the same ecu, so might be interchangable, but that sort of ties in with what your saying. So do you think the early focus (with the ford engine, not the yamaha) clocks might work off the puma ecu, once wiring is adjusted? Seems like the closest match, as they both have the same gearbox sensor, so speedo signal shouldn't be an issue like the st170,& newer model fords.

I don't know much about the electronics in ecu's , so thanks for explaining!

I can't just wire the speedo into the standard loom, as you said before, the signals recieved by each particular speedo are different, so in effect, the speedo would not understand the language of the ECU, & the basic wiring wouldn't work as the puma clocks are earth to on, and mondeo are earth to off. I could wire the duratec loom in, but then I'm faced with the problem of speed sensors (all duratec cars have speed sensors at the hubs rather then gearbox) and fiesta st, focus/mondeo abs sensors ect won't fit the puma hubs, aswell as other things I've probarbly not thought about. Anyway, thanks for the replies, I don't want to clutter your thread with speedo wiring talk anymore so I'll just do a little more research and fit what suits my application.

Thanks again! :thumbs:

Bit of an update.

Brake master cylinder siezed up and ABS pump failed so had to rebuild the brakes.

16012011291.jpg

stripped it down and removed it. Comparing the new one with the old one you can clearly see the old one was skanking!
16012011293-1.jpg

also took the reservoir off and cleaned it out to make sure there was no dirt in it.
16012011294.jpg

then refitted the new one. In this pic you can see you have to thread the master cylinder rod into the car and the pivot point on the pedal box:
16012011292.jpg

just waiting on a abs pump to give servo assistance then all is fixed!!

Also had a dodgy CV boot so had that replaced. cossiecrazy whos helped me loads had these fancy tools:
20112010170.jpg

took seconds to do things that ive struggled with in the past with hammers etc!! me like!

also this freaky contraption for stretching the CV boot:
20112010171.jpg

Looks like it might be a good torture device too!!

Back in september i bought a IECS engine monitor which ive only just got round to fitting. Shows me most of the useful sensor info off the ECU and has programmable screen layouts and alarm settings.

First of all i got a spare dash surround and hacked out the center vent area:
17112010163.jpg

then got a piece of carbon measured for the hole and cut it out with holes for screen and buttons:
17112010162.jpg

mounted the carbon to the dash surround and bonded in with glue, then preceeded to fit switches and begin to build a screen support/mount:
20112010167.jpg

Then fitted the LCD screen:
20112010168.jpg

then built a support and brace for the screen. the face of the screen is mounted on foam to absorb shock and vibration and the screen was braced from behind with balsa to hold it in place:
20112010169.jpg

i then fitted the PCB under where the vent would have been:
11012011237.jpg

and finished off rewiring the old switches and wiring for the monitor:
11012011236.jpg

The unit has sequential shift light function so i fitted the 3 leds in the dash top:
11012011235.jpg

All built up ready to go in car:
11012011233.jpg

I also wanted to keep the clock so relocated it into the stereo surround:
23012011304.jpg

Fitted the unit to the dash. Trimmed some bits of plastic and tucked wires away neatly (there's a lot of wire!!) fitted a clock wire extension and here is the finished article all fitted up:
24012011306.jpg

and this cool logo comes up on start up:
24012011308.jpg

and a couple of example screens from messing around:
24012011309.jpg

24012011310.jpg

wow wow and wow! only looked at 2 pages tbh, just got to ask, is this the same one thats on a vid on youtube getting panned doing donuts? ive had 2 cossies but i bet this absolutely shifts

yep same car in vid.

And this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM9C9CJPXmY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPZubvi-8vI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

well quite a lots happened today

first of all, passed 10000miles on the clocks!
25012011312.jpg

also have been down to have the car mapped at enhanced performance. Luke spent several hours sorting out the quite frankly shit map i had.

Had a few issues including the antilag air bypass valve being knackered and clearly its been like it a while and the last owner clearly knew as they wound the idle screw round as far as they could to compensate!! a few other bodges sorted :cry:

here's the man himself hard at work!
25012011313.jpg

I'll let the graphs do the talking:
dynopowertorque.jpg

dynopowerlambda.jpg

dynopowerboost.jpg

the car has been completely transformed!! sure its much faster at the top end as youd expect with the extra power and torque but its the way it responds lower down thats put a nice smile on my face! Soo much of the sluggishness/lag i had before is all gone! Im very happy with the results, unfortunately i know the temptation to boot it lots is going to be there so i think my gearbox wont like me any more :cry:

lol awesome work mate :eek:k:

try make it last to the Leics meet :lol:

good to hear it's running nicely now mate, albeit at the possible expense of your gearbox! Are enhanced performance a chain? My tractor was on the rollers down in sussex before christmas at EP down there with the PF mob: they certainly know their stuff.

That must have cost you a bit in petrol getting down there! Well worth it though :grin:

Back