Newbie with some questions please?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlosamg

Hi all
Im new to the forum, i bought the gf a 2001 Puma 1.6 last year as she is learning to drive. Its a cracking car we both love it, red, 84k miles 1 lady owner (known), in fact its that nice that i wonder why i paid 30 times more for my BMW X6 :oops:

Anyway, there are a few little issues i want to have done before it goes for MOT in a couple of weeks, can you help me identify them so im not having my pants taken down by the local garage please?

1. Occasionally and seems to be when its been stood a few days or more and is from cold, when slowing to go over speed bumps in my street, in second gear, it lets out a groan like whine, if i dip the clutch it stops, is the clutch slipping in second? It doesnt seem to do it in any other gear and its as if the slight over rev of the engine when cold and the slow down for the ramp makes the noise occur?

2. Just recently it has started to emit a random groan and i noticed this morning that when it happened there was feedback through the brake pedal, any ideas?

3. The rear of the car knocks quite loudly over pot holes etc and if i drive it likes its meant to be driven on country lanes for example, in high speed sharp bends it feels like the rear wants to step out on me shock. I have pushed the back of the car and it rebounds twice so i wasnt sure if this could be a shock or spring, had always thought twice was the correct amount?

4. Where can i source original Puma carpet mat fixing clips from? An ebay seller had them but no longer stocks them now and i dont need mats aswell, just clips.

5. Does Ford still stock parts for these cars, need a new window trim as its started to peel back in the corner of the door. Are there better places for top quality parts than Ford these days?

6. The engine sounds a bit raspy / rough, is the 1.6 meant to sound that way? It doesnt get hot or anything ans it pulls well, just very raspy. I checked the oil when i got it thinking it was dry, thats the noise it has? If changing the oil, whats the best one to select?

Finally, i dont have an owners manual, can it be downloaded online?

Im sure i will have more questions when answers are posted but for now, thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply.

Carl

carlosamg said:
2. Just recently it has started to emit a random groan and i noticed this morning that when it happened there was feedback through the brake pedal, any ideas?

This could be a faulty ABS sensor

4. Where can i source original Puma carpet mat fixing clips from? An ebay seller had them but no longer stocks them now and i dont need mats aswell, just clips.
I would try the ford dealer

welcome to the forum

Hi Carl welcome to ProjP :eek:k:

Glad you're enjoying the puma, and theres always niggly bits, we've all got them :lol: but most are an easy fix.

With regards to the window trim, I don't think you can actually get the trim, as the window frame comes as a whole and not actually part of the door if that makes sense..?

I recently had a respray on mine and when it came to removing the windows we had to take the whole thing out

8E7DB677.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

Unless you mean the rubber bit at the bottom?

carlosamg said:
First off, Welcome to ProjP! :thumbs:

This is certainly the place to get your answers from.

1. Occasionally and seems to be when its been stood a few days or more and is from cold, when slowing to go over speed bumps in my street, in second gear, it lets out a groan like whine, if i dip the clutch it stops, is the clutch slipping in second? It doesnt seem to do it in any other gear and its as if the slight over rev of the engine when cold and the slow down for the ramp makes the noise occur?

Not to say it is or to worry you, But I had something very similar but in 3rd gear, Turned out for me that my differential was on the way out so I needed a gearbox change..

What is making the graon, where is it coming from? Could you be a little more specific?

3. The rear of the car knocks quite loudly over pot holes etc and if i drive it likes its meant to be driven on country lanes for example, in high speed sharp bends it feels like the rear wants to step out on me shock. I have pushed the back of the car and it rebounds twice so i wasnt sure if this could be a shock or spring, had always thought twice was the correct amount?

This can be attributed to many things and my personal safest approach to suspension is change it. Check things from bushes, to the springs, shocks, top mounts ream beam, even the wheel itself. Get a mechanic to have a look, but when it comes to knocking and nasty noises there... I change everything. Personal choice...

Perhaps speak to people breaking pumas rather than just looking for the item to be listed, or even if you have a scrappies that has any pumas in.

5. Does Ford still stock parts for these cars, need a new window trim as its started to peel back in the corner of the door. Are there better places for top quality parts than Ford these days?

Most likely Ford would try and seel you a door rather than the individual part lol. Again id suggets those people breaking pumas and see if there are any in reasonable condition. Search the members here for Ian G, he strips pumas the nasty man! But he keeps other peoples pumas running!

6. The engine sounds a bit raspy / rough, is the 1.6 meant to sound that way? It doesnt get hot or anything ans it pulls well, just very raspy. I checked the oil when i got it thinking it was dry, thats the noise it has? If changing the oil, whats the best one to select?

Raspy... you should hear mine... It couldn't get more raspier... But this is difficult to answer without hearing and seeing.
Oil change, stick with 5w/30 and i use magnetec i think... lol

Finally, i dont have an owners manual, can it be downloaded online?

Theres no mechanical manual othe the the FORD TIS which is downloadable and the Haynes Fiesta Manual, butif its just owner manual then just get one cheap as chips from ebay.

Im sure i will have more questions when answers are posted but for now, thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply.

Carl

I hope this is of some help and Im not steering you in the wrong directions.

All questions are more than welcome here Carl. :eek:k:

You can get the owners manual / guide here its not a workshop manual though just the owners manual that came with the car new

http://www.mediafire.com/?fq7p9omol87m2wj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure which one you meant but if its the horizontal one that sits accross the top of the door its commonly called a weather strip and they are circa £40 from Fords, they usually bubble with rust at the rear of the doors

The abs does a self test at 12 mph when you first set off and it makes a graunch noise, dont know if this is it

Hi and welcome, If your nervous about getting done over by your local garage there is a list of recomended garages on here, or if you post where you are I am sure someone will be able to recomend one.

Good luck with getting all the work done, my cars back end knocks a bit on bumps and also a couple of seconds after first driving off in a morning but the rear axle bushes are on their way out, luckily I have an honest mechanic who is keeping an eye on them for me and would rather keep me as a long standing customer than make a quick buck! But thats just mine and like Flying Scotsman said it could be many things on yours. Hope you find a mechanic you can trust, :)

hiya and welcome

they are worth their weight in gold if you find a mechanic you can trust !!!!!! :grin:

Thanks for all the feedback, hope its not a gearbox change. The missus loves the car and she will be very disappointed if i have to tell her that.

It is very infrequent and mostly when cold, is there a way to tell for sure? How much will a gearbox change cost?

Im sure any decent mechanic will find the fault in the suspension, her dad has an old friend with an MOT centre so will try him first.

Its the weather strip i was referring to, the one along the top of the door itself rather than the whole frame.

I just want to tidy it all up so it looks well and is safe and reliable for her when she gets through her test, hope it wont be costly :eek:

Forgot to ask, the tail pipe on the exhaust is very rotten, will aftermarket boxes from the usual places like eurocar parts, kwik fit etc have the sports tail pipe included? Is it a chromed unit or plain steel?

carlosamg said:
Thanks for all the feedback, hope its not a gearbox change. The missus loves the car and she will be very disappointed if i have to tell her that.

It is very infrequent and mostly when cold, is there a way to tell for sure? How much will a gearbox change cost?

Im sure any decent mechanic will find the fault in the suspension, her dad has an old friend with an MOT centre so will try him first.

Its the weather strip i was referring to, the one along the top of the door itself rather than the whole frame.

I just want to tidy it all up so it looks well and is safe and reliable for her when she gets through her test, hope it wont be costly :eek:

Hey, I'd get a mechanic to investigate the 2nd gear noise and the suspension before mentioning gearbox changes to the missus... I just changed mine and i managed to pick up a brand new box very cheap but i was licky and i have the privilage of knowing someone who has a gargae who did my change for cheaper prices. If it is infrequent, its less likely to be the diff, mine was at 3000rpm without fail.
Again, id speak to the breaker boys or Ian G for the weather strip.

carlosamg said:
Forgot to ask, the tail pipe on the exhaust is very rotten, will aftermarket boxes from the usual places like eurocar parts, kwik fit etc have the sports tail pipe included? Is it a chromed unit or plain steel?

What sports pipe are you refering to? If its a standard box it will be steel, id personally go for something else.

carlosamg said:

If it runs across the top of the door then it IS part of the whole frame.. they don't come separately

Sparx said:
carlosamg said:

If it runs across the top of the door then it IS part of the whole frame.. they don't come separately

Sold Seperately.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-RH-Inner-Door-Belt-Weatherstrip-Genuine-Ford-Part-New-/350580548656?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51a03aa430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds like the ABS/TC too me. This happens normally on hitting 12mph after start up, but seems to happen randomly and unpredictably if there is an issue (check your ABS/TC light). I am not sure what it is doing but you can feel it in the brake peddle.

Back