Not starting!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dezzah

Hi all (I just posted this on pumapeople too - hope thats ok?),

I'm posting on behalf of my girlfriend who has had a lovely green 2001 1.7 Puma (only done 64,000 miles) for about two weeks.

I took it to my mechanic father today to check it over for her - he didn't find anything major (wheel bearing, backbox is original and will need changing, flexi pipe) but when I come to move it it will not start!

Initially I thought its immobiliser related as when I turn the key to position 3 I get nothing. Initially I thought battery, but took it off and checked it on a charger and its fully charged.
However, after doing some reading I'm not sure it is the immobiliser as I've tried both keys (remote fob and spare) and I don't get any fast flashing on the red LED next to the clock. The red LED goes off when trying to start and only comes on about 5 seconds later.

It doesn't click or anything, the only noises are the fuel pump whirring on position 2. Also tried jumpstarting it but nothing.
We did, however bumpstart it fine but as soon as its turned off - nowt. I've even tried whacking the starter motor a few times with a hammer!

It started fine this morning, and the only things we did were jack it up all round to check bearings, pipes, etc. Also I cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner (as her accelerator pedal was sticking from cold) and cleaned the MAF as it was in the same area!

Has anyone heard of this?

The exact order of events are:
Turn key to position 2 - all dash lights on + fuel pump whirs.
The fuel and airbag lights to go out first then the abs and tcs lights.
The red oil, battery and handbrake lights stay on.
Turn the key to position 3 - nothing happens from the engine but the clock and odometer lights go out and then the abs and tcs lights come back on.

I've had to break the news to her that I've broken her beloved car so I don't think I'm in the good books! :(

Cheers
dez

check connections to starter motor,or starter motor has given up

battery might show 12v but you need to do a drop test on it to check wether it is holding a decent voltage,could be battery is dead

Yes he did and it didn't work jumping but did bumping.

As Martin said, check starter connections and obviously battery end connection too.
Also check any you took off at MAF and Throttle Body.
Check earthing strap (no idea where it is but I know there is one...lol)
Check fuses in engine bay fuse box.
Check electrical connections to radiator fan (2 iirc - don't ask, just check....lol)

Plus anything that anyone else can think of after this post.

If everything seems ok....sounds like dud starter motor.
I'd have said battery possibly but as you've tried starting it with a charger or jump leads then I'd say it's not the battery.

Mine did this about 9 months back iirc, wouldn't start like yours. Same symptoms and everything. I bumped it off and it's been ok ever since. Also happened nearly 2 years ago for a totally different reason, thus the radiator fan connection I said to check.

Cheers guys...

I've done all you've suggested above - the starter motor is fine as we took it off and tested it. Checked all the connections as well. Could it be the starter relay?

because you have taken it out and tested it,its not underload when it could stop working again,check the thin wire going to the starter and the connection is not broken

Well would you believe it! Just got it started by holding a different wire between the connector and starter motor! That bloody little wire... Just maccling together another wire now. Thanks so much for your help you've made my gf very happy :) :)

And heres the problem connector:
IMG_0426.jpg

Wasn't making a connection inside the connector so replaced with a terminal block! :grin: Starts every time now!

(Now I've just gotta sort out my car thats had a broken supercharger for over a month! :cry: )

Back