Opinions on taking my frp to the ring

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanG

Hi guys ive got a couple of groups of people who are going to the nurburgring this year aswell as the trip being arranged on here. Ive been before and love the place and would love to take number 481 as im confident the car will do low 9s
Only issue is the engine has just turned 100k miles so im slightly worried about it, the engine feels sweet and doesnt use any oil or water or if it does its the tiniest amount.
Obviously i would have break down cover but just dont want to go all that way to break down.

Would really apreciate your opinions on taking it. :)

That's me all over but its along way and sometimes you have to be realistic.

I've got a complete 40k mile engine I'm using for my new build that could've gone in

No definately not and chances are it would be fine. I've got a lot of mechanical sympathy anyway.
Your going in a group on here arnt you

how far is it? around 500 miles, so 1000 mile round trip. is it really likely not to make the next thousand miles without blowing up?

ok so some hard driving round the ring might do some damage but would you not rather do that and use recovery to get home than push the new engine that hard, think of it as a last hurrah before before rebuilding the engine then you wont be so worried about breaking it if you're planning a rebuild when you get back anyway :)

If you're confident its currently running sweet as a nut then go for it. Mines on 130k and apart from a minor oil leak the old girls still going!

Just about 1000 miles. I know what your saying id just prefer not too break down lol
Don't think I would take it with the new engine, it wouldn't like 9000rpm for 13 miles

Flying Scotsman said:
Sparx said:
If you're confident its currently running sweet as a nut then go for it. Mines on 130k and apart from a minor oil leak the old girls still going!

Lol.... yes... but.... Its like an old woman lol :-D ;p

Oi don't be cheeky you :p

I took mine in 2010 on over 100k, although the thermostat housing cracked over there id have gladly taken it again if i was keeping it and its on 126k....

I done around 1200 miles in my 1.4 in the space of 3 days with 180k on the clock and shot piston rings. That was a year and 10,000 miles a go and it's still working!
Go for it mate :thumbs:

:) Have you decided on the hotel, the one i stayed in last september was owned by sabines parents and was really good and wasnt over the top expensive neither

Back