Please help. MY puma is doing my head in.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jantyc

Hi, I have a 1.6 Puma which I love. As of late though I feel like getting rid of it. The problem iswhen im taking off from stationary the car puffs out black smoke. To me it sounds like it is running to rich. But before there is a puff of black smoke there is a rattle from the engine. The two always go hand in hand. Rattle, black smoke. Mainly in second gear. To top things off a new noise has appeared. It sounds like a popping from inside the air box. Like popcorn is cooking. I wonder could all this be connected somehow. I read it could possibly be a bad intake manifold. The car is posting no codes. She has 105 thousand miles on her and apart from these problems the car is a flyer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Chris.

Hi Chris, Have you had it read for fault codes? This is usually the best place to start.

Black smoke usually means it's running richer than expected / not fully burning the fuel correctly.

What condition are the spark plugs in?

Back