Power steering Union size ?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardaft

Hi All,
Just getting around to fitting the power steering pipe on the Puma, bit confused with the union size, some advertise a 22mm union the ones on my car are 18mm, don't want to buy the wrong ones (quite expensive)
Thanks in anticipation.

Brgds
D

If you are talking about the pipes to steering rack, I had to repair mine and had to use this.... :wink:

ITELdak.jpg

Hi Thanks for the Reply,
Yep looks like 18MM to me (I wonder were the 21MM listing came from?)
A swivel head 18mm bihex crow foot dose the job as well, handy for the limited access ability, as the pipe is heavily corroded and leaking I plan to cut the pipe above both the unions and get a deep reach socket on them , I think you can get to the one on the rack with a long extension though the right hand wheel well, anyway that is the current plan.
Interesting on this site, to find these unions fitted for production line expediency ,only thing now to find out, is the union fully tightened and then the pipe fitted or pipe fitted and then union finally tweaked ? anybody got the definitive answer,I would go for the tweak myself but that could cause the union to leak (so I'm told by a friend with a Transit!!) I only want to do this once, pipe (and the unions) too expensive to muck up!!
Thanks again
D

Check my thread JASAPP, you will find images there of the complete pipe, but mind you, mine is LHD version so the steering wheel is on the left side of the car...

Latest posts

Back