problem with warning lights

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhills1964

Hi Guys and Gals, we have a puma 1.6 2001 which keeps showing warning lights such as flat tyre ( no flat trye) ABS and engine management. The car has had a brand new engine, clutch ,brakes and just about every sensor you can think off. Would this perhaps be the ECU? and if so where is this located on the car. This was my sons little project but has since moved on and am wishing to get the car back to rights for daughter.
cheers :?

the light that shows 'flat tyre' is traction control light.. and will usually comes on with yr abs warning light too....

you will see it alot in this weather..

Welcome btw :)

hi zara, thanks but this light has been coming on for a few months and am running out of ideas .............

I had this when I first got my puma and was the abs sensor....
have your abs sensors been changed?

Have you had yr wheels off recently and done something which you may have knocked them?

if they have been changed you could try cleaning them...

mmmm brakes were changed a few months ago maybe that is worth checking..... any ideas on the engine management............ has your puma been fairly trouble free?

yea I would give you abs sensors a clean just to make sure......

tbh I'm not sure about engine management light...could be anything really but i'm sure sum1 with abit more knowledge may be able to help you...

yea shes been fairly trouble-free.... has the odd niggle, wheel wobble etc... but easily sorted in good time :)

thats good, this one has been a nightmare since a family member sold it to my son as i said we have put new engine cluth brakes suspension and god knows how many sensors into it that now its a case of carrying on to the end ........

new engine...? what he do??
I have a dead puma in the garage....practically just a shell, chassis is twisted... my current one is good though,
well if it's getting passed on to yr daughter, hopefully she will take better care of it...... it'll be worth it when its all running smoothly :)

yeah i hope so too, was not his fault as about 2 weeks after we bought it blew the engine and as you may guess a big family falling out but hey ho............... i know where to come for spare parts now lol.......

I'd get it onto a diagnostics machine for the management light, there are a few different reasons for this to come on.

ABS and Traction control light will more than likely be a dirty / faulty sensor which is also the cheapest option. It can also be the ABS Control Module but this is not know to fail often..

erm... I have a few bits left lol.... but believe me... not much

good luck in getting it sorted :)

cheers red, diagnostics is my next course of action and hopefully this will throw more light on the subject........ also the remote locking has stopped and is not the battery in the key as this is also fairly new............ all of this makes me think towards the ECU as a posssibility ?

Diagnostic should point you in the right direction....for your locking too...

(I have an ECU with wiring here.. if necessary...lol)

Hold on though, did the remote go flat?
Did you take the battery out for a long period (over 60 seconds)

If so then it might just need reprogramming to the car, there is a guide in our how to sections on how to reprogram the remote locking if you haven't already tried :)

Edit, here's the link:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically if the fob loses power for too long then it will lose the settings to unlock the vehicle.

No problem, if it's the 3 button remote, use method 2, that worked for me on 2 separate cars :)

nice one again . out of curiousity and ignorance where is the ECU located.................

cheers red and Zara..... enjoy the rest of your day... will update on progress...........

Back